E. Normus Johnson
||It has been suggested that this article be merged with Big Johnson. (Discuss) Proposed since March 2012.|
E. Normus Johnson is fictional character who is the subject (and thus the voice) of Big Johnson T-shirts. Each shirt has a caption and image that plays on the phallic slang meaning of the term Johnson using double entendres. E. Normus is always the main character of the image and is a popular part of American counterculture.
E. Normus Johnson is depicted as a scrawny, freckle-faced, bespectacled, red-haired geek. He is described as "a geekier version of MAD magazine's Alfred E. Neuman" by brandchannel. He is known for his nerdiness and his unconfirmed claims of gargantuan physical endowment. Created in 1988 or 1989, depending on the source, he had appeared in 120 cartoon depictions by novelty t-shirt designers Maryland Screenprinters in their primary business line of Big Johnson T-shirts by 1995. In 2009, MBM celebrated 20 years of Big Johnson apparel. The cartoons are all juvenile humor that allude to male genitalia without ever mentioning it by using the double entendre of the Big Johnson name. Using no nudity most t-shirts depict the mascot with a caption containing a clever pun. Most of the comic art includes buxom adoring women accompanying E. Normus. Examples of the puns accompanying artistic depictions of E.Normus are "Big Johnson Fire Department: Break out your hose and pumper", "Big Johnson Fishing Gear: She’ll be ready to bite as soon as your fly drops", "Big Johnson Bar and Casino: Liquor up front. Poker in the rear", and "Big Johnson Tattoo Parlor: You’re going to feel more than a little prick". Johnson is the work of Maryland Screenprinters' artist Al Via. The common themes of the captions depict the target market as firefighters, NASCAR fanatics, hunters, anglers, car buffs and, apparently, Southerners.
- Harvell, Jess (2007-05-23). "Members Only: Local T-shirt Mogul Garrett Pfeifer Discusses His Big Johnson". Baltimore City Paper. Archived from the original on 2008-04-19. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- Sauer, Abram (2008-01-21). "Big Johnson: no mojo?". brandchannel. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- Alvarez, Rafael (1995-05-11). "Big Johnson T-shirts bring E. Normus success to brothers". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- "Big Johnson 2010 Catalog". Maryland Brand Management, Inc.
- Big Johnson's Official Site
- Big Johnson TV
- Big Johnson t-shirt archive at Baltimore Sun
- Big Johnson 2010 catalog
-  - Big Johnson App for iPhone, iPad
|This article about a fictional character is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|