Number of locations
|Jersey, London, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, New York City|
|Products||Exchange-traded funds, Commodities, FX, Equities,|
|Total assets||US$30bn (1/04/2013)|
Number of employees
The company was founded by Jersey-based Australian businessman and philanthropist Graham Tuckwell. It listed the world’s first physically-backed gold exchange-traded commodity (ETC), on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) in 2003. In 2005, ETF Securities created Europe’s first oil ETC and in 2006 established the world’s first commodities ETC platform, making 19 commodities and 10 commodity indices available on the London Stock Exchange and other European exchanges.
In 2008, the Company listed the first carbon ETC on the London Stock Exchange.
In 2012, ETF Securities saw inflows of just over US$3 billion and launched 52 new securities and 10 commodity products on the Australian Securities Exchange. In 2013, ETF Securities started listing currency-hedged physical gold investment products on the London Stock Exchange and the Deutsche Boerse.
Charles Schwab OneSource
On 8 February 2013 ETF Securities were selected by Charles Schwab as the sole provider of precious metal exchange traded funds (ETFs) for the new offering, Schwab ETF OneSource™, which was launched in New York. As part of the Schwab ETF OneSource platform, investors and advisors are able to buy and sell 105 ETFs commission free.
World Gold Council
ETF Securities worked with the World Gold Council on the development of the world’s first ETC in 200318. The partnership also collaborated on the subsequent listing of Gold Bullion Securities on the London Stock Exchange in March 2004. The World Gold Council conducts gold investment research, markets gold as an asset class to worldwide investors and partners with financial services institutions to develop new gold investment channels and launch gold investment products.
In May 2014 ETF Securities partnered with E Fund management to launch Europe's first ETF to track the MSCI China A Index. This ETF provides European investors with a vehicle to gain exposure to A-shares, which historically have only been available for purchase by local investors based in China and more recently to foreign investors through the Qualified Foreign Institutional Investor (QFII) system.
ERI Scientific Beta
On the 28th of January, ETF Securities launched two smart beta exchange traded funds on the NYSE in partnership with ERI Scientific Beta. These products aim to outperform market-cap weighted indices by using ERI Scientific Beta's stock selection process to emphasise investment factors typically associated with higher risk-adjusted returns.
The firm offers 146 exchange-traded commodities mostly in energy, precious metals, industrial metals, and agriculture.
In September 2008, the Company launched ETF Exchange, a trading platform. The platform is now available on five European exchanges including the London Stock Exchange, Deutsche Borse, Borsa Italiana, NYSE Euronext, and the ISE.
The company launched an exchange-traded currencies software platform in November 2009.
- James Thomson, Graham Tuckwell: a shining example , BRW, 1 August 2013
- Michael Bailey, Graham Tuckwell: why I didn’t sell a $1.5b business, BRW, 1 August 2013
- Smith, Simon (6 August 2012) ETF Strategy – ‘European Investors pile into physically-backed gold ETFs
- Dickson, Claire (21 April 2011) Risk.net - ‘ETF Securities capitalises on commodities’ http://www.risk.net/structured-products/profile/2039695/etf-securities-capitalises-commodities
- Wealth Adviser (30 October 2008) ‘ETF Securities to list Europe’s first carbon exchange –traded commodity product’
- Wilson, Claire (20 March 2013) Portfolio Adviser ‘Currency-hedged gold products launched by ETF Securities.’
- Coleman, Murray (7 February 2013) Wall Street Journal - ‘Schwab Ups Stakes in Commission-Free ETF Wars’http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323452204578290143940962044.html
- ETF Express(11 February 2013)‘ETF Securities sole provider of precious metal ETFs for Schwab ETF OneSource’ http://www.etfexpress.com/2013/02/11/180158/etf-securities-sole-provider-precious-metal-etfs-schwab-etf-onesource
- Financial Times(27 May 2014)‘China’s E Fund teams with ETFS for mainland ETF’http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c52d814c-e59c-11e3-8b90-00144feabdc0.html#axzz33miAvQFM
- Smith, Simon (19 December 2012) ETF Strategy – ‘Product Innovation and commodities demand drive growth at ETF Securities’