Named after the Easterhouse area of Glasgow, the band was formed in Stretford, near Manchester by brothers Andy and Ivor Perry, Peter Vanden, Gary Rostock and Michael Murray in the early 1980s. Andy Perry, intrigued by communism and inspired by Bob Marley's direct delivery of political content, was invited to join the band in order to improve its lyrical content. Easterhouse played their first gig on 30 August 1983 at Dingwalls in London as the support band for The Smiths after Ivor Perry convinced Morrissey to let them have the opening spot. Their Rough Trade singles "Whistling In The Dark" and "Inspiration" were both Top 5 independent chart hits. Their energetic first album, Contenders, featuring their signature song, 1969, has been compared to The Chameleons, New Model Army, and The Smiths. In July 1986, Easterhouse participated in the Festival of the Tenth Summer.
After Contenders, Ivor left the band; by the time second album Waiting for the Redbird was released in 1989, Andy Perry was the sole remaining member of the original line-up. It produced a minor hit "Come Out Fighting" which had significant airplay in the US, and spawned a Justin Strauss remix version of the same song.
Ivor Perry formed The Cradle with Rostock and Craig Gannon a musical contributor to The Smiths. The band had a number 12 indie chart hit with "It's Too High" in 1987, but the band was put on hold when Johnny Marr left The Smiths. Perry was considered to replace Marr,  and recorded some new material with the band, including an early version of "Bengali in Platforms" that was originally intended as the B-side of "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before", and later appeared on Morrissey's first album, Viva Hate. Perry was uncomfortable with the situation, stating "it was like they wanted another Johnny Marr", and the sessions ended with (according to Perry) "Morrissey running out of the studio". Perry instead resurrected Cradle with new singer Craig Davies, but when Davies signed a solo deal with Rough Trade Records, the rest of the band were dropped by the label. The band continued with another singer.
Ivor Perry subsequently recorded further records including the Third Wave with Arabian Sugar on the Freak Beats Compilation & Parchman which signed to XL / Citybeat and appeared on SNUB TV in 1991 and whose albums were re-released digitally by Beggars Banquet in 2013 
- Andy Perry - vocals, harmonica
- Ivor Perry - guitar
- Peter Vanden - bass guitar
- Gary Rostock - drums
- Mike Murray - rhythm guitar
- Dave Verner - drums
- Steve Lovell - guitar
- Lance Sabin - guitar
- Neil Taylor - guitar
- Sean Keaney - drums
- Richard Duddle - guitar
- Mike Murray - guitar
- Drew Smith - bass guitar
- In Our Own Hands EP (1985) London (UKI #13)
- "Whistling In The Dark" (1986) Rough Trade/Columbia (UKI #2)
- "Inspiration" (1986) Rough Trade (UKI #5)
- "Come Out Fighting" (1989) Rough Trade/Columbia (UKI #18)(US #82)
- "You're Gonna Miss It (When It's Gone)" (1989) Rough Trade
- Contenders (1986) Rough Trade (UKI #3)
- Waiting for the Redbird (1989) Rough Trade/Columbia (UKI #18)
- Mike Semyan. "Underground Resistance: McCarthy, Easterhouse and The Enemy Within". iCrates. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- Tomorrow/Yesterday[dead link]
- Easterhouse : Contenders - Listen, Review and Buy at ARTISTdirect
- Easterhouse - Contenders
- Fac 151 The Festival of the Tenth Summer > The Ten Events
- Indie Hits "C"[dead link]
- Easterhouse MP3 Downloads - Easterhouse Music Downloads - Easterhouse Music Videos - Easterhouse Pictures - MP3.com[dead link]
- Exclaim! Canada's Music Authority
- Interview - Johnny Rogan, Mojo, August 1997
- Interview Archive - Nothing To Declare But Their Genius[dead link]
- Morrissey-solo | "The Smiths - Songs That Saved Your Life" by Simon Goddard out now; BBC6 interview on Dec. 5
- Henderson, Dave (1988) "I Was Nearly a Suedehead! Ivor Perry and Cradle Tales", Underground, April 1988 - Issue 13, p. 5
Parchman_Albumswas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
Cite error: The named reference
- Show Me How To Play - Some Reality by Steve Diggle
- AtomIse on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
- Gary Rostock Ac on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
- Lazell, Barry (1997). Indie Hits 1980-1999. Cherry Red Books. ISBN 978-0-9517206-9-1.
- Strong, Martin C. (1999). The Great Alternative & Indie Discography. Canongate. ISBN 978-0-86241-913-4.