|Slogan||Conocimiento con todos y para todos
(English: Knowledge with everyone and for everyone)
|Registration||Optional (required to edit pages)|
|Launched||December 13, 2010|
EcuRed is an online encyclopedia from Cuba built on MediaWiki software. Launched on December 13, 2010, the site, which hosts over 112,000 reference articles, biographies and academic works, aims to share Cuba's vision of the world.
EcuRed as a Cuban encyclopedia originated from the need to provide universal knowledge in the Internet domain ".cu" and make it accessible to the vast majority of Cubans, who because of the constraints imposed by the government of Cuba and a lack of proper infrastructure and fiber optic cables to the island, cannot freely access the Internet.
The content is entwined with the Cuban Revolution and is written from a Cuban perspective. For example, EcuRed's article about United States said it had historically taken "by force territory and natural resources from other nations, to put at the service of its businesses and monopolies." The George W. Bush article says that he continues with a family tradition of corruption, government traps and intrigues. The name EcuRed originates from Ecu (Encyclopedia Cubana) and Red (means "network" in Spanish).
Only users approved by EcuRed administrators are able to update entries and a .cu email address is required in order to register. Not all of EcuRed’s articles are open to modification. Pages can be “protected” for multiple reasons, including “to protect modifications of articles considered very valuable, with a high [degree of] consensus, or with an elevated repercussion”.
The site is available to all Internet users in Cuba, which is estimated at 1.6 million out of a total population of 11.2 million. A portable version that can be used for schools and other institutions not connected to the Internet will be made available.
- "Nace la Wikipedia cubana". larepublica.pe. 2010-12-13.
- "Ecured.cu - Traffic statistics". lexa Internet, Inc. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Nace la "Wikipedia cubana"". elpais.com. El País. 2010-12-14.
- "Cuba to launch Ecured, a Wikipedia-like database". Pravda.ru. 14 December 2010. Retrieved 14 December 2010.
- "Cuba launches Wikipedia-like online encyclopedia". reuters.com. Reuters. 2010-12-13.
- "Cuba launches its own online encyclopedia". cnn.com. CNN. 2010-12-14.
- Rich Potter (Dec 30, 2010). "Cuba's Ecured: a socialist Wikipedia?". Transd[e]uce. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- Tong, Xiong (2010-12-15). "Cuba launches Wikipedia-style online encyclopedia". Xinhua. Retrieved 2010-12-15.