Eden, County Antrim
Eden shown within Northern Ireland
|Population||1,995 (Eden 2 Super Output Area – 2001 Census)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Northern Ireland|
|UK Parliament||East Antrim|
|NI Assembly||East Antrim|
Eden is a residential settlement on the eastern edge of Carrickfergus in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, located within a larger electoral ward area of the same name. It is intersected by the Larne Road, a small section of the extensive Antrim Coast Road that connects Carrickfergus to Whitehead and the major ferry port of Larne.
In April 2008, Carrickfergus Borough Council established the Eden Allotments, a five hectare allotment site intended to be a hub of community activity as well as promoting gardening activities and 'home-grown' cultivation of vegetables. It has been highly publicised in local newspapers and has received praise from local government for its environmentally friendly aims. It is currently believed to be the largest allotment site on the island of Ireland.
Eden is served by Eden Primary School. The school is located on a 3.4 acre plot of land within residential Eden and takes children from a larger surrounding catchment area which includes Carrickfergus and occasionally Whitehead.
Eden was served by Eden railway station until 1977, when NI Railways nationalised their services and closed many railway stations, including nearby Kilroot railway station. There is now no station between Downshire and Whitehead.
- International footballer Willie Irvine (and most likely his brother Bobby) was born in Eden before moving to the Sunnylands estate in Carrickfergus.
In popular culture
- The short film In Case I Disappear which won a competition held in conjunction with the release of the 2007 surrealistic film My Winnipeg, primarily features footage of Eden, which was director Simon Aeppli's hometown. The short film can be found on YouTube and as an extra on the My Winnipeg DVD.
- Simon Aeppli also recorded a small documentary with some of the same footage as In Case I Disappear.
- http://www.yourwinnipeg.co.uk/ Your Winnipeg
- http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/dvd-my-winnipeg-12a-971250.html My Winnipeg Review
- Eden Primary School website
- Eden Allotment Holders Association website
- Eden Allotment Gardens website
|This article related to the geography of County Antrim, Northern Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|