|Born||21 November 1954
Hesket Newmarket, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
|Died||31 March 2011
Coventry, West Midlands, England, United Kingdom
Cause of death
|Spouse(s)||Sylvia (divorced); 4 adopted children
Mandy (m. ?–2011, his death); 2 children
|Parent(s)||Eddie and Nora Stobart|
Edward Stobart (21 November 1954 – 31 March 2011) was a British haulage company owner who first became involved with his father's company aged 15 in 1969, and subsequently expanded it into one of the UK's most well known multimodal logistics companies, Stobart Group. Stobart died on 31 March 2011 in a Coventry hospital of what was termed 'heart problems'.
The Stobart Group
In the 1950s, Stobart's father "Steady" Eddie Stobart founded the haulage business that became Eddie Stobart Ltd, then the Stobart Group. Stobart's father controlled the organisation fully until 1973, when, at the age of 19, Stobart took the place of CEO, while Rodney Baker-Bates was made COO. In 1976, Stobart's father retired and Stobart took the place of chairman, while Baker-Bates was made CEO and Andrew Tinkler was made COO. The company was distinguished by uniforms and clean trucks. By 1985 Stobart owned 26 vehicles but he would still personally wash the trucks.
In 1987, Baker-Bates resigned and Stobart's brother William took the place of CEO. However, in 1992, William also resigned, and so Alan Martin took the place of CEO. However, Martin was fired in 1997 after leading a court case against Stobart in order to receive more payments. Baker-Bates then returned and took the place of CEO again.
The executive line-up of the group remained with Stobart as chairman, Baker-Bates as CEO and Tinkler in COO until 2004 when, at the age of 50, Stobart retired, and made his brother William COO, promoting Baker-Bates to the part of chairman and Tinkler to the part of CEO.
On 31 March 2011, Stobart died very suddenly of a massive heart attack. He was rushed to hospital in Coventry but was pronounced dead on arrival. It was later revealed he was suffering from heart problems. Stobart's funeral service took place on 9 April at Carlisle Cathedral, followed by a private burial.
- Guardian obituary
- Telegraph obituary
- Turner, Camilla (31 March 2011). "Lorry boss Edward Stobart dies aged 56". The Guardian (London).
- "Haulage magnate Edward Stobart dies, aged 56". BBC News. 31 March 2011.
- "Edward Stobart". The Economist. 7 April 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Haulage supremo Edward Stobart dies | News
- Haulage supremo Edward Stobart dies | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk
- Edward Stobart funeral arrangements
- Eddie Stobart funeral takes place at Carlisle Cathedral
- "Edward Stobart died bankrupt, court documents show". BBC News. 26 May 2011.
- In pictures: Edward Stobart funeral