Emeritus Senior Living
|Traded as||NYSE: ESC|
|Founded||1993 (Renton, Washington)|
Emeritus Corporation (NYSE: ESC) doing business as Emeritus Senior Living is a provider of independent living, assisted living, Alzheimer’s/memory care, and skilled nursing for seniors living in Emeritus communities throughout the United States. The company was founded in 1993.
Emeritus specializes in assisted living services for seniors who need help with daily activities such as bathing, dressing, meals and medications management. Most communities also provide expert care for Alzheimer’s and memory care residents, and offer respite stays for seniors who need short-term stays. As of the February 20, 2014 merger with the worlds largest provider of senior living solutions, Brookdale Senior Living, NYSE (BKD) Emeritus joins the largest provider in the senior living industry. Emeritus has locations in 47 states, with several facilities within each state.
Emeritus runs 483 facilities in 45 states. Company revenues were $1.57 billion in 2012.
- 1993: Emeritus was founded by Daniel Baty, Ray Brandstrom and Frank Ruffo in Renton, Washington
- 1995: Emeritus goes public on the American Stock Exchange
- 2007: Emeritus merges with Summerville Senior Living. Summerville CEO Granger Cobb is appointed Co-CEO of Emeritus 
- 2008: Emeritus moves to the New York Stock Exchange.
- 2009: Emeritus launches Home Visits
- 2010: Emeritus launches Brain Health Lifestyle Program and appoints nationally recognized neuropsychologist Dr. Paul Nussbaum as Director of Brain Health 
- 2010: Emeritus acquires Sunwest Properties through a Joint Venture with Blackstone and Columbia Pacific Advisors. Through this venture, Emeritus becomes largest assisted living provider in the industry.
- 2011: Granger Cobb appointed as CEO of Emeritus 
- 2013: Emeritus and Merrill Gardens announce Emeritus will take over operations of 38 Merrill Gardens senior living communities in eight states.
- 2014: Emeritus is acquired by the worlds largest provider of senior living solutions, Brookdale Senior Living Inc headquartered in Brentwood TN.
An episode of Frontline which aired on July 30, 2013 documented the alleged neglect and physical abuses perpetrated on patients by Emeritus. In one civil lawsuit, Joan Boice et al v. Emeritus Corporation, a Sacramento, California jury found Emeritus liable for neglect which apparently resulted in the 2009 death of a patient; the jury assessed the company $23 million in punitive damages. Following the broadcast, Emeritus established the website www.EmeritusFacts.com.
- ALFA Largest Providers List
- "Directory of Retirement, Senior Living and Assisted Living Communities". Emeritus Senior Living. Retrieved 4/2/13.
- "$23M verdict stings Seattle-based assisted-living giant Emeritus". Seattle Times. 6 April 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Emeritus & Summerville merger article
- Emeritus moves to NYSE article
- Emeritus Senior Living Launches Commitment to Brain Health Lifestyle™ - SmartBrief
- Emeritus Announces Appointment of Granger Cobb as Chief Executive Officer | Reuters
- Martinez, Amy, June 27, 2013 http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2021284299_emeritusdealxml.html, Seattle Times retrieved 6 August 2013
- "Life and Death in Assisted Living". Frontline. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Grunbaum, Rani (April 6, 2013). "$23M verdict stings Seattle-based assisted-living giant Emeritus". Seattle Times. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- Mullaney, Tim, 5 August 2013 http://www.mcknights.com/emeritus-will-respond-vigorously-to-sensationalized-frontline-documentary-company-leaders-say/article/305998/ McKnight's Long-Term Care News & Assisted Living