Encyclopedia of the History of Arabic Science
|Encyclopedia of the History of Arabic Science|
|Dewey Decimal||509/.17/4927 21|
|LC Class||Q127.A5 E53 2000|
The Encyclopedia of the History of Arabic Science is a three-volume encyclopedia covering the history of Arabic contributions to science, mathematics and technology which had a marked influence on the Middle Ages in Europe. It is written by internationally recognized experts in the field and edited by Roshdi Rashed in collaboration with Régis Morelon.
French edition: "Histoire des sciences arabes", 3 vol., Le Seuil, Paris, 1997, (ISBN 2-02-030355-8).
A partial list of contributors include:
- Volume 1
- R. Morelon and George Saliba (Arabic astronomy)
- David A. King (astronomy in Islamic society)
- Edward Stewart Kennedy (mathematical geography)
- J. Vernet and J. Samsó (Arabic science in Andalusia)
- H. Grosset-Grange (Arabic nautical sciences)
- Volume 2
- A. S. Saidan (numeration and arithmetic)
- Boris A. Rosenfeld and A. P. Yushkevich (geometry)
- J.-C. Chabrier and M. Rozhanskaya (music and statics)
- M.-Th. Debarnot (trigonometry, algebra)
- Roshdi Rashed (geometrical optics)
- G. Russell (physiological optics)
- Volume 3
- Donald Routledge Hill (engineering)
- A. Miquel (geography)
- Toufic Fahd (botany and agriculture)
- G. Anawati (Arabic alchemy)
- E. Savage-Smith (medicine)
- F. Micheau (scientific institutions in the medieval Near East)
- J. Jolivet (classifications of the sciences)
- M. Mahdi (historiography)
- B. Goldstein (heritage of Arabic science in Hebrew)
- H. Hugonnard-Roche, A. Allard, D. Lindberg, R. Halleux, and D. Jacquart (Western reception of various Arabic sciences)
- J. L. Berggren. "Reviewed work(s): Encyclopedia of the History of Arabic Science by Roshdi Rashed". Journal of the American Oriental Society. Vol. 120, No. 2 (Apr. - Jun., 2000), pp. 282-283.
- Sonja Brentjes. "Reviewed work(s): Encyclopedia of the History of Arabic Science by Roshdi Rashed". Technology and Culture. Vol. 40, No. 2 (Apr., 1999), pp. 399-401.
- Charles Burnett. "Reviewed work(s): Encyclopedia of the History of Arabic Science by Roshdi Rashed; Régis Morelon". The British Journal for the History of Science. Vol. 31, No. 1 (Mar., 1998), pp. 72-73.
- Volume 1 at Questia Online Library
- Volume 2 at Questia Online Library
- Rashed, Roshdi; Morelon, Régis (1996). Encyclopedia of the History of Arabic Science: Asronomy-Theoretical and applied, v.2 Mathematics and the physical sciences; v.3 Technology, alchemy and life sciences. Routledge. ISBN 9780415020633. Retrieved 28 May 2013.