Eric S. Margolis (born 1942 or 1943) is an American-born journalist and writer. For 27 years, ending in 2010, he was a contributing editor to the Toronto Sun chain of newspapers, writing mainly about the Middle East, South Asia and Islam. He contributes to the Huffington Post and appears frequently on Canadian television broadcasts, as well as on CNN. A multinational, he holds residences in New York, Paris, Toronto and Banff, Canada. Margolis is the owner of Canadian vitamin manufacturer Jamieson Laboratories.
Margolis was born in New York City in 1943 to Henry M. Margolis and Nexhmie Zaimi, an American-Albanian. His father was a New York businessman, restaurant owner, theatrical producer and investor, while his mother was a journalist and author. Eric Margolis holds degrees from the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University, the University of Geneva, Switzerland, and New York University MBA Program.
Margolis writes a regular column for the Huffington Post and also writes for Dawn, an English language Pakistani newspaper, the Gulf Times in Qatar, the Khaleej Times in Dubai, New York Times and The American Conservative . He appears regularly on such television outlets as CNN, Fox, CBC, British Sky Broadcasting News, NPR, and CTV. He is a regular guest on the TV Ontario's The Agenda after previously regularly appearing on its predecessor programme Studio 2.
Margolis and his wife Dana have been animal rights activists for several decades. Together they created the charity The Eric S. Margolis Family Foundation which works to prevent animal cruelty and focuses on issues such as factory farming, puppy mills, and elephant poaching.
Margolis identifies his politics as "Eisenhower Republican". Though his domestic political persuasion is moderately conservative (he is a staunch anti-communist and a supporter of capitalism), Margolis' views on the Middle East are sharply at odds with those of the neoconservatives.
Margolis wrote about Barack Obama's election stating that:
Americans did not "liberate" Iraq, but they certainly liberated their own nation last week by sweeping the Republican Party from power. One prays America's long nightmare of foreign aggressions, fear, religious extremism, and flirting with neo-fascism is finally at an end.
I came to deeply respect and admire Paul's courage, honesty, and his refusal to accept special interest money ... In fact, Rep. Paul has been a model of the type of legislators envisaged by America's founding fathers: men of high moral standards and intellect dedicated to the nation's wellbeing. He reminds me in many ways of the fiercely upright senators of the early Roman Republic.
- War at the Top of the World: The Struggle for Afghanistan, Kashmir, and Tibet (ISBN 0-415-93062-6) Routledge 1999
- American Raj: The West and the Muslim World (ISBN 1-554-70087-6) Key Porter September, 2008. Finalist in English non-fiction category at 2009 Governor General's Awards for Literary Merit.
- "Al Qaeda contemplated giving Canadian journalists ‘special media material’ for 10th anniversary". Toronto Star. May 4, 2012. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- Garris, Eric, Sun Newspapers Fire Eric Margolis After Receiving Canadian Govt Grants, antiwar.com, 24 July 2010, retrieved 24 July 2010
- "Toronto Sun page". Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- Margolis, Eric. "Brief bio at huffingtonpost.com". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- Rita Zekas (Feb 3, 2012). "Couple live in the dog house". Toronto: Toronto Star. Retrieved Feb 18, 2013.
- news release. "Interview opportunity - Britain's Sky News heralds Eric Margolis as 'The Man Who Got it Right About Iraq'". PRNewswire. Retrieved Feb 18, 2013.
- "Article written for Dawn Aug 5 2002". Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- "A Margolis acticle in Gulf Times". Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- "Khaleej Times article by Margolis". Retrieved 2009-09-02.
- "Margolis article in New York Times". The New York Times. 2007-09-04. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Article by Margolis in American Conservative". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "PDF of American Conservative listing Margolis as Contributing Editor" (PDF). Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "recent reference to CTV interview". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "recent CTV interview". Retrieved 2009-08-02.[dead link]
- "Agenda interview with Margolis". Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "PDF of IISS membership list". Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- "Margolis declares his politics and admiration for Eisenhower". Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- Margolis, Eric (November 10, 2008). "Obama's Very Long To-Do List". ericmargolis.com. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- Margolis, Eric (July 6, 2009). "Dr Ron Paul Has The Right Cure For America". ericmargolis.com. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- Eric Margolis home page
- Eric Margolis: Archives on LewRockwell.com
- D-Day: We Were All Allies – commentary, revealing decisive role of the Soviet Union in World War II
- Appearances on C-SPAN