|Arena||Erie Insurance Arena|
|Team colors||Black, gold, red, white
|Head coach||Gene Cross|
|Division / Conference titles||0|
|Affiliations||New York Knicks|
The Erie BayHawks are a professional basketball team based in Erie, Pennsylvania. They are part of the NBA Development League (D-League), which is the National Basketball Association's official minor league. The team was established in 2008 as an expansion team, originally affiliated with the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Philadelphia 76ers.
The "BayHawks" name alludes to the Presque Isle Bay, on which Erie lies. The hawk represents the city's wildlife and naval history, especially because hawks were used by naval expeditions to send important messages. The team's colors of black, red, and gold pay homage to the Erie-based Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry and to the United States Navy uniforms worn during the American Revolution.
- 1 History
- 2 Logos and uniforms
- 3 Season-By-Season records
- 4 Current roster
- 5 High points
- 6 Affiliates
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The Erie BayHawks made headlines on January 17, 2012 when Jeremy Lin was assigned to the team. On January 20, he had a triple-double with 28 points, 11 rebounds, and 12 assists in the BayHawks' 122–113 victory over the Maine Red Claws. Lin was recalled by the Knicks three days later. In December 2012, the Knicks assigned NBA veteran Amar'e Stoudemire to the BayHawks because of an injury.
In 2012, the New York Knicks offered the BayHawks head coach position to Patrick Ewing, one of their most prominent alumni. However, he turned down the offer citing his desire to coach in the National Basketball Association as opposed to the D-League. Ewing has worked as an assistant coach to the Washington Wizards, Houston Rockets, and the Orlando Magic.
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) officially partnered with the Erie BayHawks in 2008. As part of the deal, LECOM is the team's official presenter and medical provider. Additionally, the school's name is featured on the BayHawks' jerseys and court design. In September 2012, the BayHawks extended their partnership with LECOM to 2018. Furthermore, they will continue to workout and practice at the LECOM Medical Fitness and Wellness Center.
Logos and uniforms
The official colors of the Erie BayHawks are black, gold, and red. The primary logo depicts a red and black hawk in flight with a gold beak and talons. The hawks is superimposed over a gold basketball and a partial, black ring with "Erie" rounding the top. The "BayHawks" wordmark is centered over the entire design in white, scripted letters.
Erie BayHawks roster
NBADL All-Rookie Second Team
- Tasmin Mitchell - 2011
All-NBADL First Team
All-NBADL Third Team
NBADL All-Defensive Second Team
- Ivan Johnson - 2011
- Cleveland Cavaliers (2008–2011)
- New York Knicks (2011–present)
- Philadelphia 76ers (2008–2009)
- Toronto Raptors (2009–2011)
- "BayHawks Selected as Name for Erie’s New NBA Development League Basketball Team". Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- "Knicks Send Two Bench Warmers to D-League". The New York Times. January 17, 2012. Retrieved January 19, 2012.
- "Lin Picks Up Triple-Double As Erie Drops Maine 122–113". NBA. January 20, 2012. Retrieved January 20, 2012.
- "Knicks Recall Jordan & Lin". NBA. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- "Knicks assign Stoudemire to BayHawks". Erie Times-News. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "Ewing rejects Knicks' offer to coach D-League club". New York Daily News. Retrieved September 17, 2012.
- "Erie BayHawks Announce Partnership With LECOM". NBA.com. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- "BayHawks sign 5-year extension with LECOM". Erie Times-News. Retrieved September 26, 2012.