Portuguese Naval School
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013)|
|Motto||Talant de bien faire|
|Motto in English||The talent of doing well|
|Established||1796 (Royal Academy of the Midshipmen)
1823 (Portuguese and Brazilian midshipmen academies separation)
1845 (Naval School)
|Commander||Rear-admiral Edgar Marcos de Bastos Ribeiro|
|Location||Alfeite (Almada), District of Setúbal, Portugal|
|Campus||Lisbon Naval Base|
The Portuguese Naval School (Portuguese: Escola Naval) is a university-level naval academy in Alfeite, Portugal. The school is located at the Lisbon Naval Base, on the south bank of the Tagus river, in front of the city of Lisbon.
The Royal Academy of the Midshipmen (Academia Real dos Guardas-Marinhas) was created in 1792, as an-university level naval academy, which integrated the Company of Midshipment as its student corps.
With the invasion of Portugal by the Army of Napoleon and the transference of the Portuguese Royal Court to Colonial Brazil, the Royal Academy of the Midshipmen and its Company of Midshipment are also transferred there and installed in Rio de Janeiro, in 1808.
Following the independence of Brazil, in 1803 the professors and students of the Academy of Midshipmen have to chose either the Brazilian or the Portuguese nationality. Those that choose the Portuguese nationality return to Portugal. Then, two academies come into existence: the Imperial Academy of Midshipmen in the Empire of Brazil and the Royal Academy of Midshipmen in the Kingdom of Portugal.
The Portuguese Royal Academy of Midshipment was reorganized in 1845, becoming the Naval School (Escola Naval).
- Master in naval military sciences, Navy (5 years)
- Master in naval military sciences, Naval administration (5 years)
- Master in naval military sciences, Marines (5 years)
- Master in naval military sciences, Naval engineers - machines (5 years)
- Master in naval military sciences, Naval engineers - weapons and electronics (5 years)
- Master in naval medicine (only the part of military training and supervision)
- Bachelor, Administration and secretariat (3 years)
- Bachelor, Weapons and electronics (3 years)
- Bachelor, Mechanics (3 years)
- Bachelor, Marines (3 years)
- Bachelor, Computer science (3 years)
- Bachelor, Divers (3 years)
- Bachelor, Hydrograpy (3 years)
- Bachelor, Communications (3 years)
- Training program for special duty officers
- Training program for limited duty Officers
- Basic training program for officers
|This Portuguese university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|