Type of site
|Baseball statistics and analysis|
|Created by||David Appelman|
|12,496 (April 2014[update])|
FanGraphs.com is a website run by Fangraphs Inc., located in Arlington, Virginia, and created and owned by David Appelman that provides statistics for every player in Major League Baseball history. The website, among other things, plots the course of every game, showing which hits and outs changed outcomes.
All major league baseball data on the website, including pitch type, velocity, batted ball location, and play-by-play data, are provided by Baseball Info Solutions. Minor league baseball data are provided by Major League Baseball Advanced Media, and distributed by STATS LLC. All Win Expectancy, Leverage Index, and Run Expectancy data are licensed from InsideTheBook.com. All Ultimate zone rating (UZR) calculations are provided by Mitchel Lichtman. Retrosheet.org play-by-play data prior to 2002 was obtained free of charge from and is copyrighted by Retrosheet.
FanGraphs creates several products:
- The FanGraphs homepage, which contains articles, statistical reports and also covers baseball history as well as current issues and events, including games and series, injuries, forecasts, player profiles, baseball finance, and the player marketplace.
- RotoGraphs is FanGraphs' fantasy baseball advice and analysis section. It originally featured David Golebiewski of ESPN Inside Edge, Marc Hulet, Brian Joura of newyorkmetsdaily.com, and Peter Bendix. Currently managed by Eno Sarris.
- NotGraphs provides "a place to put things that would otherwise not have a place on FanGraphs". NotGraphs was managed by Carson Cistulli but ceased publishing new content at the conclusion of the 2014 season.
- The Community Blog is an opportunity for readers to share their writing through FanGraphs. In May 2010 an editorial staff was put in place to guarantee an "approval process" within 48 hours of submission.
- The FanGraphs Library is an encyclopedia of Sabermetric statistics and principles run by Neil Weinberg.
- FanGraphs releases an annual book The FanGraphs Second Opinion: Fantasy Companion that contains statistics and analysis of the past season, in-depth player profiles, team previews, articles on fantasy strategy and forecasts of the upcoming season.
- Hosted by FanGraphs editor Carson Cistulli, FanGraphs Audio is a weekly program archived at FanGraphs Audio.
- Dave Cameron – Managing editor and senior writer of FanGraphs. He hosts a weekly chat, contributes to FanGraphs on Fox Sports, writes several features such as the annual "Trade Value" series and is a regular contributor to the FanGraphs Audio podcast. Cameron was the co-founder of USSMariner.com and previously worked for Baseball Prospectus and contributed to the Wall Street Journal.
- Carson Cistulli – Senior writer of FanGraphs, former editor of NotGraphs and host of the FanGraphs Audio podcast. Joined in August, 2009. Cistulli is responsible for the Daily Notes and writes the "Fringe Five" prospect feature. He previously worked for The Hardball Times.
- Eno Sarris – Senior writer of FanGraphs and editor of RotoGraphs. Joined in July, 2010. Sarris hosts a weekly chat, contributes to FanGraphs on Fox Sports and NotGraphs and is the founder and operator of BeerGraphs. He also writes for the The Hardball Times and previously wrote for Bloomberg Sports and Amazin' Avenue.
- Jeff Sullivan – Senior writer of FanGraphs and editor of the Community blog. Joined in August, 2012. Sullivan hosts a weekly chat, contributes to FanGraphs on Fox Sports, writes several features, such as the "Worst of the Best" series and is an occasional contributor to the FanGraphs Audio podcast. He also writes for USSMariner.com and previously wrote for SB Nation's Lookout Landing.
- Paul Swydan – Senior writer of FanGraphs. Joined in January, 2011. Swydan is the co-managing editor of The Hardball Times and is a writer for ESPN Insider. He previously worked 7 years for the Colorado Rockies and wrote for Baseball Prospectus, MLB.com, Rockies Magazine and the Biz Of Baseball.
- Tony Blengino – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in December, 2013. Blengino analyzes major league players, teams and transactions with an inside look on how front offices use statistics in scouting. He previously worked as a scout with the Milwaukee Brewers and an assistant to the GM with the Seattle Mariners.
- August Fagerstrom – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in June, 2014. Fagerstrom also writes for the Akron Beacon Journal and ohio.com and has been published in the Chicago Tribune and Washington Post.
- Drew Fairservice – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in August, 2014. Fairservice is the managing editor of GhostRunnerOnFirst.com and previously wrote for the theScore Inc..
- Marc Hulet – Staff writer of FanGraphs and RotoGraphs. Joined in April, 2008. Hulet provides articles and scouting reports on minor league prospects, including annual preseason and midseason top prospect lists.
- Brad Johnson – Staff writer of FanGraphs and RotoGraphs. Joined in October, 2013. Johnson is responsible for The Daily Grind feature at RotoGraphs. Also occasionally contributes to The Hardball Times.
- Matt Klaassen – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in November, 2009. Klaassen occasionally contributes to the FanGraphs Audio podcast and also writes for Beyond the Boxscore.
- David Laurila – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in May, 2011. Laurila contributes Q&A articles and produces the Sunday Notes column. He is a member of the BBWAA and previously wrote for Baseball Prospectus where he wrote the Prospectus Q&A from February 2006 until May 2011.
- Kiley McDaniel – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in August, 2014. McDaniel serves as the lead prospect analyst and head of the FanGraphs scout team. He previously worked for the New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Pirates and Baltimore Orioles and wrote for Scout.com and ESPN's Draft Blog.
- Blake Murphy – Staff writer of FanGraphs and RotoGraphs. Joined in July, 2013. Murphy contributes to the Daily Fantasy feature at RotoGraphs. He also serves as the NBA editor for theScore Inc. and writes for NylonCalculus.com and RaptorsRepublic.com.
- Mike Petriello – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in October, 2013. Petriello also contributes to The Hardball Times, ESPN Insider and DodgersDigest.com. He was previously an editor producer for Sports on Earth.
- Nathaniel Stoltz – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in November, 2013. Stoltz is a prospect writer who views prospects in the Eastern, Carolina, South Atlantic, and New York-Penn Leagues. He previously wrote at Beyond the Box Score, Athletics Nation, and RotoGraphs.
- JD Sussman – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in February, 2013. Sussman is a prospect writer contributes to the Prospect Watch feature. He previously wrote for BullpenBanter.com.
- David G. Temple – Staff writer of FanGraphs and NotGraphs. Joined FanGraphs in October, 2013. Temple began writing for NotGraphs in July, 2012. He also contributes to The Hardball Times and is the host of the Stealing Home podcast. He previously contributed to TheClassical.com and ThePlatoonAdvantage.com.
- Wendy Thurm – Staff writer of FanGraphs. Joined in October, 2011. Thurm is a previous lawyer of 18 years who covers legal issues in baseball. She has previously contributed to Sports on Earth, ESPN, SB Nation, theScore Inc., BayAreaSportsGuy.com, TheClassical.com and San Francisco Magazine.
- Neil Weinberg – Site educator of FanGraphs. Joined in July, 2014. Weinberg hosts a weekly chat and is responsible for maintaining the FanGraphs statistical library. He also works as a managing editor for SB Nation's BeyondtheBoxscore and writes for The Hardball Times, Gammons Daily, TigsTown.com and NewEnglishD.com.
- Bradley Woodrum – Staff writer of FanGraphs and NotGraphs. Joined in March 2011. Woodrum holds degrees from Jacksonville University (B.A. Economics and B.A. English) and Roosevelt University (M.A. Economics). He also co-founded Cubs Stats and writes for DRaysBay and SBN Tampa Bay.
- Jeff Zimmerman – Staff writer of FanGraphs and RotoGraphs. Joined in March, 2010. Zimmerman is the expert on player health and contributes extensive work relating to player aging curves. He contributes the weekly MASH report feature to RotoGraphs. He is also the founder of BaseballHeatMaps.com and writes for SB Nation's RoyalsReview.
- Mike Axisa (Apr '10 - present) – RotoGraphs staff writer. Also writes for and co-founded River Ave. Blues, a Yankees blog.
- Michael Barr (Feb '11 - present) – RotoGraphs and FanGraphs staff writer.
- Howard Bender (Feb '11 - present) – Founder of The Fantasy Baseball Buzz, also a contributor to the 2011 Fantasy Baseball Guide magazine and ESPN Radio.
- Ben Duronio (Jan '12 - present) – Also writes for the Capitol Avenue Club, a Braves blog. Worked with ESPN Stats & Info Group.
- Erik Hahmann (Feb '11 - present) – Previously wrote for Bloomberg Sports, also writes for DraysBay.
- Mike Podhorzer (Mar '11 - present) – Has written for The Fantasy Baseball Generals and FantasyPros911.
- Zach Sanders (Nov '09 - present) – RotoGraphs staff writer and creator of the Roto Riteup, a daily fantasy baseball column which runs through the duration of the MLB season. Sanders also contributes to RotoGraphs' Fantasy Rankings.
- Dan Wade (Aug '11 - present) – RotoGraphs staff writer.
- Brandon Warne (Feb '12 - present) - Covers two start starting pitchers for Rotographs. Warne covered the Minnesota Twins as a beat reporter for the 2013 season for 1500 ESPN.
- David Wiers (Mar '12 - present) - RotoGraphs staff writer and co-author of the Roto Riteup series.
- RJ Anderson – Now writes for Baseball Prospectus.
- Patrick Andriola - Joined FanGraphs in June, 2010 until October, 2010 Before joining FanGraphs Andriola wrote for The Hardball Times (2009, 2010) and, as a student, worked for the Major League Baseball's Labor Relations Department.
- Peter Bendix – Now works for the Tampa Bay Rays as an assistant of Baseball Research and Development.
- Sky Kalkman – Left FanGraphs in 2006, then wrote for Beyond The Boxscore, and now writes for Baseball Prospectus.
- Jonah Keri – Keri joined FanGraphs in January 2011, introduced as having "written for every publication known to man" -- Playboy, ESPN, and Baseball Prospectus among others, the author of The Extra 2%: How Wall Street Strategies Took a Major League Baseball Team from Worst to First (2011). Keri was a staff writer for FanGraphs and NotGraphs until August 2011 when he left to write "full-time" at Grantland.com.
- Erik Manning – Now writes for Beyond The Boxscore.
- Frankie Piliere – Now writes for Scout.com.
- Steve Sommer - Wrote for FanGraphs from March, 2010 until May 2010. Now writes for The Hardball Times.
- "Fangraphs.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Terms of Service | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- David Appelman, Fangraphs.com (February 19, 2007). "SI.com – MLB – Behind the numbers (cont.) – Monday February 19, 2007 3:43PM". Sportsillustrated.cnn.com. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- O'Neill, Brian, "Stats Geek: Statistic sheds new light on Big Hit Theory", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 5/16/2006, accessed 8/25/2009
- "The Book". Insidethebook.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Baseball Statistics and Analysis | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- "Apple Features Hawk Ridge". Retrieved May 29, 2011.
- "Baseball Statistics and Analysis | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. 2012-09-28. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Rotographs". Beyond the Boxscore. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Introducing Notgraphs". NotGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "This Weblog Will Expire in Three Months". NotGraphs. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- "Community Blog Guidelines". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Second Opinion Fantasy Companion". SB Nation. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Podcast | FanGraphs Baseball". Fangraphs.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Introducing Ottoneu Fantasy Baseball". FanGraphs. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "Ottoneau Now Has Prizes". FanGraphs. Retrieved May 15, 2011.
- "Baseball Prospectus - David Laurila". Baseball Prospectus. Retrieved September 15, 2011.
- "Introducing the Adam Dunn Hat Trick". FanGraphs. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Justin Masterson's Valuable New Role". FanGraphs. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Tony Bucciferro and the 23-Year-Old Strike-Thrower Question". FanGraphs. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Sanchez versus Syndergaard: Prospect Showdown". FanGraphs. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Does the Braves' Stuff Work in the Playoffs?". FanGraphs. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Did Philly Lead the NL to Rotation Dominance". FanGraphs. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "A (Re)Introduction to the FanGraphs Library". FanGraphs. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Steve Slowinski. "DRaysBay, a Tampa Bay Rays community". Draysbay.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Berkman Officially on DL to Start Season". FanGraphs. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- Axisa, Mike. "Starting Pitchers: April 12th".
- Barr, Michael. "Fallers at First Base".
- Bender, Howard. "2011 Player Rankings: Catchers".
- "Keeper League Would You Rather?: Joe Mauer or Alex Avila". RotoGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- Catania, Jason. "2011 Player Rankings: AL OF".
- "Keeper Strategy — 2012 Impact Rookies: Starting Pitchers". RotoGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- Duronio, Ben. "Jordan Walden, a Poor Man’s Craig Kimbrel".
- Hahmann, Erik. "$1 Catchers: Shoppach and Torrealba".
- "Pomeranz and Dickey Streaming Friday Starters". RotoGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- Podhorzer, Mike. "$1 NL Outfield Option: Nate McLouth".
- "Potential 2012 K9 Surgers". RotoGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- Sanders, Zach. "Free Agent Fantasy Impact: Matt Holliday".
- Sanders, Zach. "End of Season Rankings: First Base".
- Sarris, Eno. "Iannetta’s Batty Batted Ball Numbers".
- Sarris, Eno. "Eno Sarris Baseball Chat - 10/26/12".
- Wade, Dan. "Santana, Hughes: AL Starting Pitchers".
- Warne, Brandon. "First Time Ottoneu Owner – Draft Strategy and Rationale".
- Wiers, David. "Roto Riteup: March 23rd, 2012".
- Wiers, David. "Roto Riteup: October 19, 2012".
- "Ryan Howard’s Odd Decline". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "The Roy Oswalt Decision". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "The Hardball Times Authors Page - Pat Andriola". The Hardball Times. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Front Office Directory". MLB.com. Retrieved May 25, 2011.
- "A Saber-Slanted Baseball Community". Beyondtheboxscore.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "The Success Cycle is Full of Crap". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- "Jonah Keri FanGraphs Chat – 8/8/11". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- "College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page". Scout.com. Retrieved 2012-10-02.
- "Staring Down the Sinkerballers, Part One". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Florida Marlins Farm System Discussion". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "FANS Playoff Probabilities – AL Version". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Closer Usage in the AL East". FanGraphs. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "The Hardball Times Authors Page - Steve Sommer". The Hardball Times. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- Official website
- Seidman, Eric, "What’s new at Fangraphs?," The Hardball Times, 1/16/09 accessed 8/24/09
- Studeman, Dave, "Fangraphs going wild," The Hardball Times, 3/15/08, accessed 8/24/09
- Anderson, Chuck, "Decoding Fangraphs: Hitting Stats," Fantastic Gameday, 8/24/09, accessed 8/24/09
- Fangraphs App Description in iTunes App Store, 9/18/09, accessed 10/14/09
- Hawk Ridge Consulting