Food Lover's Companion
|Food Lover’s Companion|
Fourth Edition cover
|Author||Sharon Tyler Herbst
and Ron Herbst
|Series||Barron's Cooking Guide|
|Publisher||Barron's Educational Series|
|Publication date||1990 – 2007 (4th)|
|Media type||trade paperback|
The New Food Lover’s Companion—currently in its Fourth Edition—is a seminal work in the culinary field. The book defines over 6,700 culinary terms in its 830 pages, along with numerous conversion tables. Each edition is a significant expansion on the previous edition in number of entries and the coverage of the various appendices.
The main section of the work is an A-to-Z list of defined culinary terminology, followed by a series of appendices.
|First||January 1990||0-8120-4156-9||582||Over 3,000|
|Second||January 1995||0-8120-1520-7||600||Over 4,000|
|Third||March 2001||0-7641-1258-9||792||Nearly 6,000|
|Fourth||August 2007||0-7641-3577-5||830||Over 6,700|
Sharon Tyler Herbst—the primary author—wrote 16 food and beverage related books before her death on January 26, 2007. Her husband Ron—who writes about wine and cheese—finished editing the Fourth Edition after her death and is credited as the coauthor.
Bon Appetit hailed the book as “one of the best reference books we’ve seen, a must for every cook’s library”, and the New York Times described it “As thick and as satisfying as a well-stuffed sandwich”.
Fourth edition appendices
- Ingredient Equivalents – Weight to volume conversions
- Substituting Ingredients
- Pan Substitution Chart
- High-Altitude Baking Adjustments
- Boiling Point of Water at Various Altitudes
- General Temperature Equivalents
- Hand Test for Grilling Temperatures
- Oven Temperatures
- Fahrenheit/Celsius Conversion Formulas
- Microwave Oven Conversion Chart
- Recommended Safe Cooking Temperatures
- Candymaking Cold-Water Tests
- Frying Temperatures
- Smoke Points of Popular Oils
- Fatty Acid Profiles of Popular Oils
- U.S. Measurement Equivalents
- Wine and Spirit Bottle Sizes
- Approximate Metric Equivalents
- Metric Conversion Formulas
- Food Guide Pyramid
- What's a Serving?
- Food Label Terms
- A Guide to Food Labels
- Pasta Glossary
- British and American Food and Cooking Terms
- Seasoning Suggestions
- Meat Charts
- Food Additives Directory
- Back cover of the Third and Fourth Editions.
- Konrad, Rachel (January 29, 2007). "Cookbook author and foodie favorite Sharon Tyler Herbst dies". Associated Press. Retrieved 2007-02-17.[dead link]