From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up Formosa in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Formosa may refer to:
- Ilha Formosa, literally meaning, "Beautiful Island", a Portuguese historical name for Taiwan Island
- Republic of Formosa, a short-lived republic in 1895 on the island of Formosa (now known as Taiwan)
- Formosa Strait, another name for the Taiwan Strait
- A fort built by the Portuguese in Malacca in the 16th century
- Dutch Formosa, the period of colonial Dutch government on Formosa (now known as Taiwan), lasting from 1624 to 1662
- Spanish Formosa, a Spanish colony established in the north of Taiwan from 1626 to 1642
- A'Famosa, a Portuguese fortress located in Malacca, Malaysia.Controlled by Portugal (1511–1641) Netherlands (1641–1795) Britain (1795–1807)
- Formosa Province, Argentina, which is the antipodes of northern Taiwan (also named Formosa).
- Formosa, Argentina, the capital of its namesake province
- Formosa, Goiás, Brazil (near Brasília in Goiás State)
- Diocese of Formosa, Argentina, Roman Catholic Diocese in Argentina
- Diocese of Formosa, Brazil, Roman Catholic Diocese in Brazil
- Bioko island, Equatorial Guinea, was named "Formosa" by Fernão do Pó.
- Formosa (Guinea-Bissau), an island in the Bissagos Islands, Guinea-Bissau
- A township on the Northern outskirts of Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
- Formosa Bay, or Bahia Formosa, an earlier name for the bay now known as Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
- Formosa Peak, or Peak Formosa, altitude 1675m, the highest point in the Tsitsikamma Mountains, South Africa
- The eastern city of Formosa is the home of Madame Tang and her dragon in the video game Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow based on the Disney films
- Formosa may also refer to a fictional country located on the island of Taiwan, but whose culture was invented by George Psalmanazar as a hoax.
- Formosan languages, the languages belonging to the Austronesian family of languages spoken by the indigenous people of the island of Formosa or Taiwan
- A surname found in the Maltese Islands
- Formosa (grape), a Portuguese wine grape
- Formosa Magazine
- Formosa Television, a major television network in Taiwan
- Formosa Plastics, a major corporation in Taiwan
- Formosa (film), a 2005 comedy
- Formosa Betrayed, a 2009 thriller film
- Formosa Cafe, a famous restaurant in Hollywood, California
- Formosan Mountain Dog, a breed of dog indigenous to Taiwan, commonly referred to as Formosan
- Ric Formosa, an Australian composer and musician
- Bosque Formosa Esporte Clube, a Brazilian football (soccer) club
- Formoza, Polish military unit
- Forumosa, an online forum about Taiwan
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Formosa.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.