||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (May 2010)|
|Place of origin||Italy|
|Used by||See Users|
|Produced||1986 - 2005|
|Weight||3.9 kg (8.5 lb) empty|
|Barrel length||450 mm (18 in)|
|Caliber||18.5 x 76 mmR (2.75 in) smooth bore|
|Action||Pump-action / gas-actuated, rotating bolt |
|Rate of fire||Semi-automatic|
|Effective firing range||40 m (130 ft)|
|Feed system||3, 6 or 8-round detachable box magazine|
The weapon is based on the SPAS-12, and has similar pump-action/semi-automatic firing modes. In semi-automatic mode a gas piston drives a bolt carrier and rotating bolt. In pump-action mode the same components are driven by sliding the fore-end backwards. Pump-action mode is required to reliably fire low-pressure (less lethal) ammunition such as tear gas rounds or less-lethal bean bags. Switching between firing modes is done by pressing a button above the foregrip, and sliding the foregrip slightly forwards or backwards. The barrel is chrome lined and features screw-in choke tubes.
Unlike its predecessor, the SPAS-15 is fed by a detachable box magazine. The gun features a folding stock and a pistol grip safety.
In 1994, the United States banned the importation of the SPAS-15 with close to 180 shotguns imported, but later abolished the relevant regulations. In Canada, the SPAS-15 is classified as a Prohibited Weapon and cannot be legally owned or imported except under very limited circumstances. In Italy the SPAS-15 is not subject to any kind of restriction for sale, purchase or possession, and despite no longer being in production it is still fairly common on the civilian market.
- Belarus: Used by the "Almaz" anti-terrorist group.
- Brazil: Special Operations Brigade.
- Italy: Acquired in 1999 by the Italian Army.
- Portugal: Portuguese Army.
- Serbia: Special Brigade.
- Tunisia: Tunisian Armed Forces.
- Firearms, an illustrated guide to small arms of the world, di Chris McNab
- Jones, Richard (2009). Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009-2010. Jane's Information Group. p. 308. ISBN 0-7106-2869-2.
- List of Restricted and Prohibited Firearms, Canadian Firearms Centre (CFC)