The Furuno Electric Company (古野電気株式会社) was founded in Nagasaki, Japan in 1938. The company sells marine electronics and has subsidiaries in the USA, Europe and China.
- 1938 Furuno Electric Shokai was founded in Nagasaki, Japan
- 1948 Commercialized the world's first practical fish finder. It established Furuno Electric Industries in Nagasaki. Began manufacturing and selling fish finders.
- 1951 Established Suisan Electric Industries.
- 1952 Developed radio communication equipment for fisheries.
- 1955 Established Furuno Electric by taking over operations from Furuno Electric Industries (capitalized at 8 million yen).
- 1958 Developed a numeric display type Loran (long-range navigation) receiver.
- 1959 Developed radar for vessels.
- 1961 Developed the world's first net sonde. Capital increased to 120 million yen.
- 1964 Relocated headquarters from Nagasaki to Nishinomiya Factory in Hyogo prefecture.
- 1966 Developed telesounder.
- 1967 Developed full automatic sonar, facsimile receiver and direction finder.
- 1968 Developed Loran receiver for aircraft.
- 1971 Developed the Omega receiver.
- 1972 Received NMEA's fiscal 1971 Best Product Award. Developed Japan's first doppler sonar.
- 1973 Developed autopilot system, satellite positioning equipment and simple radio telephone.
- 1974 Developed radio navigation system and full-circle scanning sonar. Developed gyrocompass. Established Furuno Norge in Norway.
- 1976 Developed ultra-compact radar and half-circle scanning sonar.
- 1978 Established Furuno U.S.A in the U.S.
1979 Completed Miki Factory. Established Furuno Ltd. in the U.K.
- 1980 Developed the world's first current indicator, videoplotter and compact facsimile receiver
- 1981 Developed scientific sounder.
- 1982 Listed on the Second Section of the Osaka Securities Exchange.
- 1983 Increased capital to 6,200 million yen.
- 1984 Moved to the First Section of the Osaka Securities Exchange. Developed facsimile receiver and bottom mapping system. Acquired management control of Kyoritsu Radio and Kyoritsu Radio Service.
- 1985 Developed marine radar, color net recorder, bottom sonar, ARPA.
- 1986 Developed the world's first bird radar. Developed GPS navigation system.
- 1987 Developed fishery monitoring radar, automated bonito pole-and-line fishing system. Developed the world's first video LORAN. Established Furuno Danmark in Denmark. Established Furuno Sverige in Sweden.
- 1989 Completed Furuno Int Center.
- 1990 Developed equipment for the research submersible Shinkai 6500 system. Increased capital to 7,535 million yen. Launched Spirit of Furuno 21, a fishing boat-type testing vessel. Established Furuno France in France.
- 1991 Developed wireless marine horn, radar for fishery and digital mapping system.
- 1992 Developed kinematic GPS and GPS for aircraft. Established Furuno Espana in Spain.
- 1993 Commercialized a teleterminal DGPS.
- 1994 Developed golf distance meter and integrated navigation display.
- 1995 Developed integrated bridge system, GPS time server.
- 1998 Developed radar plotter-fish finder combo.
- 1997 Developed new terrain remote monitoring system.
- 2000 Developed satellite compass.
- 2001 Developed NavNet Series.
- 2002 Developed Automatic Identification System (AIS) and Voyage Data Recorder (VDR). Developed fully automated Clinical Chemistry Analyzer. Established Furuno Navintra (now Furuno Finland) after acquiring Finnish company Navintra. Began in-house production of pulse magnetron.
- 2003 Developed GPS-steered Time and Frequency Generator. Began in-house sales of ETCs. Won a long-term supply contract for the NavNet series of network-compatible navigational equipment from the US Coast Guard. Established Furuno Softech (Dalian) in Dalian, China.
- 2004 Developed the Tanken-Maru system, a fish finder for recreational fishing boats. Completed the world's largest test tank at the Miki Factory. Began joint development of DNA microarray synthesizers with U.S. company CombiMatrix Corporation. Established Furuno Polska in Poland. Opened the Furuno European Distribution Centre (FEDC) in the Netherlands. Launched Pegasus, a test vessel for a pleasure boat market
- 2005 Developed the world's first dual-frequency searchlight sonar. Opened Furuno Dong Guan factory in China. Established Furuno Deutschland in German. Established Furuno Eurus LLC in Russian Federation. Established the Furuno INS Training Center (INSTC) in Copenhagen, Denmark, to train crew members of commercial vessels how to operate Integrated Navigation System.
- 2006 Developed the 12.1-inch multi-color LCD radar FR-8002 series. Developed FCV-620, a fish finder with a 5.6-inch LCD for the pleasure boat market. Purchased a 49% stake in French company SIGNET S.A. and convertible bonds. Established Furuno Europe as a local subsidiary in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Developed S-VDR (Simplified Voyage Data Recorder) VR-3000S. Developed ultra sensitive GPS receiver for mobile communication device market.
- 2007 Developed AIS (Automatic Identification System) receiver FA-30 for fishing vessels and recreational boats
Established Furuno Shanghai in China.
- 2009 Acquired San Francisco based eRide, inc. a fabless semiconductor company making GPS chipsets.