Gerard I, Count of Guelders
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
Gerard I of Guelders (c. 1060 – 8 March 1129) was Count of Guelders (Gelre in Dutch). He was born as Gerard of Wassenberg, the son of Dietrich of Wassenberg. He was the first count of Guelders.
He may have been married to Clementia of Aquitaine, although that proposed marriage seems to be based on a falsified document. It is also possible that he married an unnamed daughter of William I, Count of Burgundy. Gerard had three children:
- Jutta of Wassenberg, married Waleran II of Limburg.
- Yolande of Wassenberg (Yolande of Guelders), married 1) Baldwin III, Count of Hainaut and 2) Godfrey II de Ribemont Châtelain de Valenciennes
- Gerard II, Count of Guelders married Ermengarde of Zutphen, daughter of Otto II, Count of Zutphen.
- Szabolcs de Vajay 'Contribution à l'histoire de l'attitude des royaumes pyrénéens dans la querelle des investitures: de l'origine de Berthe, reine d'Aragon et de Navarre', Estudios Genealógicos, Heráldicos y Nobiliarios, en honor de Vicente de Cadenas y Vicent (Hidalguía, Madrid, 1978), Vol. 2, p. 386 footnote 40.
- Herimanni, Liber de Restauratione Sancti Martini Tornacensis 33, MGH SS XIV, p. 287.
- Nobility from the Lower Rhine Region from Medieval Lands
|Count of Guelders
|This article about a person from the Netherlands is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article of a European noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|