|Nationality||French and Lebanese|
|Fields||academic and writer|
Gilbert Achcar (Arabic: جلبير الأشقر; born 1951) is a Lebanese academic, writer, socialist and anti-war activist. He lived in Lebanon until moving to France in 1983. He taught politics and international relations at the University of Paris VIII until 2003, when he took up a position at the Marc Bloch Centre in Berlin.
Gilbert Achcar is a Fellow at the International Institute for Research and Education.
In March 2011, he wrote an article for ZNet that provoked a debate within the international left on the position towards the coalition intervention in Libya for humanitarian reasons. He gave his support in March 2013 to the campaign of film director Ken Loach and activist Kate Hudson for a new left-wing party in the UK.
- Author: La nouvelle Guerre froide : le monde après le Kosovo, 1999. English translation included as two chapters in Tariq Ali (ed.): "Masters of the Universe". NATO’s Balkan Crusade, 2000".
- Editor: The Legacy of Ernest Mandel, 1999.
- Author: Eastern Cauldron: Islam, Afghanistan, Palestine and Iraq in a Marxist Mirror, 2004 (L'Orient incandescent : le Moyen-Orient au miroir marxiste, 2003.
- Author The Clash of Barbarisms: The Making of the New World Disorder (Le choc des barbaries : terrorismes et désordre mondial, 2002 and 2006.
- Editor: The Israeli Dilemma: A Debate between Two Left-Wing Jews. Letters between Marcel Liebman and Ralph Miliband (Le dilemme israélien. Un débat entre Juifs de gauche), 2006.
- Author with Michel Warschawski: The 33-Day War: Israel’s War on Hezbollah in Lebanon and its Consequences, 2007.
- Author with Noam Chomsky, Perilous Power. The Middle East and U.S. Foreign Policy, 2007 and 2008.
- Author: The Arabs and the Holocaust, 2010.
- Author: "The People Want: A Radical Exploration of the Arab Uprising", 2012
- Achcar, Gilbert (24 March 2011). "Libya: a legitimate and necessary debate from an anti-imperialist perspective". ZNet.
- Loach, Ken; Hudson, Kate; Achcar, Gilbert (25 March 2013). "The Labour party has failed us. We need a new party of the left". The Guardian.
- Gilbert Achcar's page on "International Viewpoint-the monthly English-language magazine of the Fourth International"
- Achcar, Gilbert. The Clash of Barbarisms: The Making of the New World Disorder. ISBN 0863569196.
- Profile at School of Oriental and African Studies
- Interview with State of Nature (March 2006)
- Interview with the Alternative Information Center, "American, Israeli and Iranian Strategies in the Middle East Conflict" (May 2008)
- "Gilbert Achcar on the Middle East"
- Interview with Gilbert Achcar: "The U.S. is sowing the seeds of a long term tragedy..."
- "The Arabs and the Holocaust": War of Narratives
- "Whither Egypt?"
- "الحوار المتمدن"
- "الثورة الدائمة"
- "جلبير الأشقر-الدين والسياسة اليوم من منظور ماركسي"
- "الاستشراق معكوسا: تيارات ما بعد العام 1979في الدراسات الإسلامية الفرنسية"
- " في البرنامج الاستراتيجي للنضال التحرري الفلسطيني- 2009 "
- "جلبير الأشقر(جريدة المناضل-ة)_2006 _إخفاق المشروع التنويري في المنطقة العربية وشروط استنهاضه"