She has been a pioneer in contemporary childcare services and an important contributor to Government thinking on the education, social care and health services support for disadvantaged children and their families.
During her time at Coram Family the charity:
- Increased the number of children, young people and families benefiting from Coram Family’s services from 300 to over 6,000 a year
- Repositioned the organisation and brought its work into the forefront of Government thinking
- Established a separate charitable trust to enable the public to have access to the charity’s art collection at the Foundling Museum
- Developed the Coram Community Campus as an integrated early childhood service, which has been designated “early excellence centre”
- Won Charity of the Year award (children and youth category) in 2003
Gillian Pugh was elected Chair of the National Children's Bureau (NCB) in November 2006 and is also a Member of the Children’s Workforce Development Council (CWDC). In 2009, she became President of the National Childminding Association.
She is a member of the Family Law Review Panel.