|Developer(s)||The Gpg4win Initiative|
|Stable release||2.2.1 (October 7, 2013) [±]|
|Preview release||2.2.0-beta56 (August 14, 2013) [±]|
|License||GNU GPL and other free software licenses|
Gpg4win is an installation package for Windows (XP, Vista, 7 and 8) with software tools and manuals for email and file encryption on behalf of the German Information Security Agency. Gpg4win itself and all tools of Gpg4win are free and open source software. The software mainly uses public-key cryptography for data encryption and digital signatures.
The aim of Gpg4win is to keep a Windows installation package up-to-date including the crypto software GnuPG, accompanying tools and documentation. Especially the manual Gpg4win Compendium is maintained as part of Gpg4win; it started as a translation of the German original.
The build system ("Gpg4win-Builder") allows for easy creation of the gpg4win.exe installer with updated or customized components. Tested on Debian, it can be run on other systems as well. During a build almost all software tools are created for Windows via cross compilation.
Contents of Gpg4win Installer
- GnuPG: the core; this is the actual encryption tool
- Kleopatra: the certificate manager (KDE) for OpenPGP and X.509 (S/MIME) and common crypto dialogs.
- GPA: an alternate certificate manager (GNU) for OpenPGP and X.509 (S/MIME).
- GpgOL: a plugin for Microsoft Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013 (email encryption).
- GpgEX: a plugin for Windows Explorer (file encryption).
- Claws Mail: a complete email program including the plugin for GnuPG
- Gpg4win Compendium: the documentation about Gpg4win2 (German and English).
GPG4win's GUI-based software provides a reduced set of choices and options compared to GnuPG on the command line (TUI):
- "[Gpg4win-devel] Gpg4win 2.2.1 released". Andre Heinecke. 2013-10-07. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "[Gpg4win-announce] Gpg4win 2.2.0-beta released". Andre Heinecke. 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2013-08-15.
- BSI: Gpg4win – Sichere E-Mail- und Datei-Verschlüsselung