Great Belize Television
|Belize City, Belize|
|Slogan||It's Hot... It's Live... It's Only on Five!|
|Channels||Analog: 5 (VHF; main) 2, 13 (secondary)|
|Owner||Great Belize Productions|
Great Belize Television, or as it is locally known, Channel 5, is a Belize City-based local television station established in December 1991. Channel 5 airs mostly American and Caribbean programs, as well as a variety of locally produced programs. It is a subsidiary of Great Belize Productions, a local production company established in 1982.
Channel 5 has produced such popular programs as "Lauren Da Mawnin", "The Andy Palacio Show" and most recently Karaoke Television.
Great Belize Productions, the parent company of Channel 5, received its broadcast license from the Government of Belize in 1991 and began broadcasting on December 9 of that year. Beginning in 1992, Channel 5 advertised a weekly schedule of programming in the Amandala (later shifted to The Belize Times before being discontinued after 2003). In January 1998, Channel 5 launched its website channel5belize.com, which featured text transcripts for News 5 and video streaming of the newscast. Channel 5, as the Belize representative of the CBU, has won numerous journalism awards at home and abroad.
Channel 5's News Department produces News 5 Live for broadcast every night from Monday to Friday at 6:30 PM, repeating later that night at 10:00 PM and at 12:00 noon the following afternoon (there are no weekend newscasts). The program has been the flagship of Channel Five since it premiered on December 9, 1991 and is now Belize's longest running television program. The program runs for 90 minutes including commercials (during election season it may be slightly longer). The show usually closes with the line "And that's the news!", followed by a plug for the station's website.
- Anchor/Healthy Living Reporter: Marleni Cuellar
- Reporters: Isani Cayetano, Duane Moody, Mike Rudon
- News Assistant: vacant
- Cameras: Darrel Moguel, George Tillett, Stephen Ferguson, Louis Crawford (studio)
- Executive Producer/News Director: Amalia Mai
Mondays-Fridays (all times Central, as of September 2014)
- 6:00 AM Morning sign on
- 6:05 AM Caribbean Newsline (REPEAT)
- 6:30 AM Open Your Eyes (morning show; hosts William Neal and Marleni Cuellar)
- 8:30 AM Cartoons/children's shows
- 9:00 AM Various programming (usually dramas)
- 10:00 AM Univision Spanish telenovela
- 11:00 AM Wheel of Fortune
- 11:30 AM Jeopardy!
- 12:00 PM News 5 (REPEAT; Tues.- Fri.)
- 1:00 PM The Young and the Restless
- 2:00 PM The Dr. Oz Show
- 3:00 PM Various programming
- 5:30 PM Open Your Eyes (REPEAT)
All times are Central.
- 6:30 PM: News 5 Live
- 7:30 PM: Caribbean Newsline (CMC) (occasionally pre-empted due to long-running newscast)
- 8:00 PM: ABC World News Tonight (occasionally pre-empted duet to long-running newscast
- 8:30 PM: Primetime shows (Mondays: Dickie Bradley Special; Wednesdays: MegaBingo; Caribbean Medical; Caribbean Passport; Dr. Phil)
- 10:00 PM: News 5 Live Repeat
- 11:00 PM: Noticiero Univision
- 11:30 PM: Late Night Movie/television program (signoff immediately thereafter)
- 5:00 PM: National Geographic Explorer/other National Geographic programming
- 7:00 PM: ABC World News Weekend
- 7:30 PM: Various programming until sign-off
- 1:00 PM: Cartoons
- 2:00 PM: Movies
- 5:00 PM: various programming
- 6:00 PM: 60 Minutes (CBS)
- 7:00 PM: ABC World News Weekend
- 7:30 PM: various programming
- 8:00 PM: Sunday Night Movie/various programming
- 10:00 PM: Sabado Gigante (Univision)
Notes: After its last program, Channel 5 airs a short film played over the National Anthem, then continues broadcasting via TNT until 6:00 a.m., when the same short film is played to open the day.
Local Programs broadcast by Channel 5: Past and Present
- The Andy Palacio Show (Palacio also wrote the theme for News 5 Live; discussed local music)
- Lauren Da Mawnin (short-lived morning program featuring comic Lauren Burgess; spawned primetime Sunday program spinoff Lauren Da Nite)
- One on One (featured Stuart Leslie and Dickie Bradley; talk)
- Karaoke Television
- Duets (a musical competition featuring two people performing a musical act. The grand prize is $10,000 BZD.)
- KTV Duets (a spoof of KTV and Duets)
- Noh Matta Wat! (produced by 13 Productions; co-broadcast with Channel 7 and Krem TV)
- Gimme 5! (special promotion, held every year for one week celebrating the yearly anniversary.)
- Hurricane Iris: After the Storm (compilation of news stories on the hurricane; VHS)
- The Land of Belize (host Therese Rath, discusses Belize's geography; VHS)
- The Sea of Belize (host Tom Greenwood, discusses Belize's marine ecosystems and resources; VHS)
- Belize: The Maya Heritage (host Froyla Salam, discusses the first settlers of Belize; VHS)
- From Invasion to Nation: A History of Belize (based on Assad Shoman's 13 Chapters of a History of Belize; VHS)
- Be the Next Superstar (a talent competition.)
Note: Channel 5 sells tapes of the last five programs at its office on Regent Street; one such sale is ongoing.