Garics with Austria in 2012
|Date of birth||8 March 1984|
|Place of birth||Szombathely, Hungary|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Right Full Back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16 March 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Although born in Hungary but of Croatian descent, Garics moved to Vienna when he was 14 years old and started his football career in Austria with prominent side Rapid Vienna in 2002; during his first season as a teenager he made two appearances.
By the 2004–05 season the young attacking wingback has become more of a prominent member in the first team and Rapid Vienna won the Austrian Bundesliga, around this time he also became captain of the U21 national team of Austria.
Having made 81 appearances for Rapid Vienna and scored one goal, he was bought by Italian side Napoli for €500,000, making his debut against Triestina on 23 September 2006. Soon after, he achieved a call up on 6 October 2006 for the Austrian national team against Liechtenstein and scored on his international debut.
He was also called up to the Euro 2008 squad and started Austria's third match against Germany in Vienna.
The case of Garics divided Hungarian public sentiment, as it is the first high-profile case of a player choosing a national team other than Hungary, and is also considered a failure on the part of the Hungarian Football Federation to consider to select him in time for the national team.
After Atalanta were relegated from Serie A, Garics was sold outright to Bologna on 9 August 2010, for €3 million. Garics was seriously injured in 2011, and had to miss most of the spring season at Bologna.
- "SSC Napoli 2006–07 Annual Report". SSC Napoli (in Italian) (Re-Published by direttanapoli.it). ca. October 2007. Retrieved 15 June 2011. Check date values in:
- "SSC Napoli 2008–09 Annual Report". SSC Napoli (C.C.I.A.A. Archive) (in Italian). ca. January 2010. Retrieved 17 June 2011. Check date values in:
- "Napoli, le comproprietà risolte" (in Italian). SSC Napoli. Retrieved 28 June 2009.
- "RAIMONDI ALL'ATALANTA, GARICS AL BOLOGNA" (in Italian). Atalanta BC. 9 August 2010. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- "Bilancio intermedio al 31 dicembre 2010: Nota integrativa: parte 1". Bologna FC 1909 (in Italian). 4 April 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Atalanta B.C. Official Player Profile (Italian)
- György Garics at National-Football-Teams.com
- Rapid stats – Rapid archiv (German)
- Player profile – Euro 2008