Hart House Symphonic Band
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (March 2012)|
HHSB is historically noteworthy as the first symphonic band to have instruments in which the initial sound-producing mechanisms of the instruments cover all three states of matter: solid, liquid, and gas. While other orchestras have three categories of instruments (strings, percussion, and wind), two of these categories (strings and percussion) use matter in its solid state, and one category (wind instruments) uses matter in its gaseous state. HHSB is, in some sense, the first large symphonic orchestra to use hydraulophones, musical instruments that produce the initial sound by way of matter in its liquid state.
The 2007 Spring Concert, including Janzen's Suite for Hydraulophone, Movement II, was also webcast live by six "cyborgloggers" using wearable computers, underwater cameras for the hydraulophone, and camera phones.
HHSB was conducted for 11 years by Keith Reid, until 2006, and is presently (2007) conducted by Roger Mantie, a PhD Candidate at University of Toronto's Faculty of Music. Roger Mantie announced on March 11, 2008 that he will not be returning as the band's conductor in the fall. The HHSB is currently searching for a new conductor. For more information, please visit the HHSB Official Site.
HHSB has two main concerts (at Hart House) each year: one in the spring and one in the fall. Additionally, HHSB has toured on some years, to hold other concerts. The concerts are generally free to the public.
Godzilla Eats Shostakovich - 2008-APR-01
Recent HHSB concerts
- Symphonic Dances - 2001-DEC-01
- Spring Concert - 2002-MAR-23
- Salute to Broadway - 2002-NOV-30
- Symphonic Sensations - 2003-MAR-29
- Dreams & Fantasies - 2004-MAR-27
- Sousa - 2004-NOV-27
- Sousa (Montreal) - 2005-JAN-15
- Symphonic Rhapsodies - 2005-APR-02
- Broken Mirror - 2005-NOV-26
- Brief History of Music for Winds & Percussion - 2006-MAR-25
- Riding Sanging & Dancing - 2006-DEC-02
- Splashing on Stormy Shores - 2007-APR-03
- From Coast to Coast: A Short Ride in a Fast Machine - 2007-NOV-27
Communication with Hart House community
Approximately two weeks prior to each concert, HHSB posts a notice of each upcoming concert.