Harvey Balls are round ideograms used for visual communication of qualitative information. They are commonly used in comparison tables to indicate the degree to which a particular item meets a particular criterion.
For example, in a comparison of products, information such as price or weight can be conveyed numerically, and information such as the existence or lack of a feature can be conveyed with a check mark; however, information such as "quality" or "safety" or "taste" is often difficult to summarize in a manner allowing easy comparison – thus, Harvey Balls are used.
In addition to their use in qualitative comparison, Harvey Balls are also commonly used in Project Management for project tracking; in Lean Manufacturing for VSM and Continuous Improvement tracking; and in BPM software for visualisation.
Implementations and support
||This article or section appears to contradict itself about whether Unicode or SVG is easier to use in Powerpoint. (June 2012)|
The use of SVG to render Harvey Balls allows them to be easily used in web browsers and applications that support the XML vector graphics format. The benefit is that no special font is required and the Harvey Balls can be displayed using an open format. The main drawback is that SVG is not universally supported.
Microsoft Excel 2007 introduced the functionality to render Harvey Balls through the Conditional Formatting function.
Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- On the Insert Tab - Click Symbol - On the dialogue box select font as MS Gothic and Subset as Geometric Shapes and insert the relevant Symbol.
- Type the Unicode of the character you plan to insert (Ex. U + 25D3), Press 'Alt + X'. For a list of Unicodes, refer here.
Custom fonts have been developed such that the numbers 0-9 map to a particular Harvey Ball. Incorporating the Harvey Ball into a document then becomes a matter of selecting the number which corresponds to the desired Harvey Ball and setting the font to Harvey Ball. The Harvey Balls can then be manipulated like any other font (e.g., color, size, underline) and may be easier to use than other implementations. The main drawback of this approach is that the font either needs to be embedded in the document or all the viewers of the document must have the font installed.
The use of Unicode to render Harvey Balls depends on whether a font with these characters is installed; the Unicode Harvey Balls may be difficult to work with in software that does not render these characters uniformly.
The Unicode set of related symbols includes:
|Symbol||Unicode Codepoint (Hex)||Name|
|◐||U+25D0||Circle with left half black|
|◑||U+25D1||Circle with right half black|
|◒||U+25D2||Circle with lower half black|
|◓||U+25D3||Circle with upper half black|
|◔||U+25D4||Circle with upper right quadrant black|
|◕||U+25D5||Circle with all but upper left quadrant black|
Modifications & other uses
Some of the symbols used for Harvey Balls are also used in other fields to represent other types of information:
|○||Astronomy: (Full Moon)|
|●||Astronomy: (New Moon)|
|◐||Astronomy: (First Quarter Moon)|
|◑||Astronomy: (Last Quarter Moon), Electronics: (On/Off Switch, Television Contrast)|
|◒||Cartography: (Spring or Well)|
|◓||Meteorology: (Partly overcast)|
|◔||Meteorology: (Almost clear sky or Somewhat overcast)|
|◕||Meteorology: (Broken Clouds)|
- kellen.net - Business Performance Measurement - At the Crossroads of Strategy, Decision-Making, Learning and Information Visualization
- Digital Roam - The Back of the Napkin Blog
- Palm Beach Daily News
- Consumer Reports
- IBM DeveloperWorks Blog
- Symbols.com - Online Encyclopedia of Western Signs and Ideograms
- Okta - Weather Icons
- Harvey Balls Deluxe (TrueType Font) - A free unlimited-use Harvey Balls font and key map
- http://www.ambor.com - A free limited-use version of the Harvey Balls Font, with instructions and examples
- http://fontstruct.fontshop.com - A free unlimited-use version of Harvey Balls Font
- Harvey Balls PowerPoint Template - Free PPT template with Harvey Ball shapes
- Editable Harvey Balls Template for PowerPoint - Editable Harvey Balls Template for PowerPoint