2010 Hebei tractor rampage
|Hebei tractor rampage|
|Location||Yuanshi County, Hebei, China|
|Date||August 1, 2010|
The Hebei tractor rampage was a spontaneous mass murder incident in which 17 people were killed in Yuanshi County, Hebei, China by an intoxicated man driving a bucket loader. At least 20 others were wounded.
The rampage began when coal worker Li Xianliang (李献良), who had been drinking and had a blood alcohol content of 154 milligrams per 100 millilitres, had an argument. Early reports said his first intended victim was a customer, whom he tried to kill. The customer escaped, but another nearby was killed as the rampage began. A later report said that the first person killed was the murderer's boss, with whom he had been arguing about money.
During the incident, the attacker smashed into cars, motorcycles, buses, shops and trees. Passersby jumped onto the tractor, and one stabbed the driver in an attempt to stop the attack. The killer tried to attack the passersby with a crowbar and a brick before being subdued. At least eight of the victims died at the scene of the attack, while at least another three died in a hospital. The youngest victim was five years old. The rampage lasted for about an hour.
The attack followed unrelated attacks on schools elsewhere in China; the Chinese government removed some mentions of the incidents from the internet in China for fear that mass coverage of such violence can provoke copycat attacks. The various attacks on anonymous people and an attack on police have resulted in calls for better mental health care, as mental health problems often go undiagnosed and untreated in China. As a result, 550 new mental health clinics were opened and security was increased outside primary schools and nurseries all over China.
- Wivell, David (August 3, 2010). "Death toll rises in China tractor rampage". Globe and Mail (Toronto).
- "Tractor rampage attack in China kills 11". BBC News. 2 August 2010.
- "Angry drunk kills 11 at Chinese mine". UPI. Aug 2, 2010.
- "China coal worker kills 11 in drunken rampage with tractor". The Hindu. August 2, 2010. Retrieved August 2, 2010.
- "Death toll rises in China tractor rampage". CTV News. August 3, 2010.
- "Man on Drunken Tractor Rampage Kills 11 in China". CBS News. August 2, 2010.
- "China school attack leaves 9 dead". Associated Press/CBS News. May 12, 2010.
- "Drunken Man Kills 11 In China Tractor Rampage". Associated Press/NPR. August 2, 2010. Archived from the original on August 5, 2010. Retrieved January 4, 2015.
- "Driver Kills 11 In Drunken Tractor Rampage". Sky News. August 2, 2010.
- What makes a Mass Killer?
- Mass Murder: A Small Person's Way to Immortality
- 八一惨案冀煤工杀人后驾铲车狂碾11死30伤, The Epoch Times (August 2, 2010)
|This China-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|