Heighington Church of England Primary School
|Religion||Church of England|
|DfE URN||137022 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
Heighinton CE Primary School is a Church of England primary school with academy status located in the village of Heighington, near Newton Aycliffe, County Durham. It educates around 260 pupils aged 4–11. It has a rural locality and has been assessed by Ofsted as providing an outstanding education. The Headmaster since 1995 has been Neil Parker.
The Ofsted report on 22 May 2007 inspection, rating the school Outstanding, the highest possible assessment, said: "This is an outstanding school where pupils excel in all they do. National test results in English, mathematics, and science over recent years show that pupils’ achievement is outstanding. A combination of outstanding leadership and management, highly effective teaching and learning and a very well planned curriculum and other activities that meet the range of pupils' interests underpins everything the school does."
This school has a well above average point score in English, Maths and Science. With English and Science at 100% pass Levels, and Maths at 97%. The average point score for recent examinations was 31.3 which is higher than both the local authority and national averages of 28.2 and 27.8 respectively.
The premises were progressively extended between 2000 and 2004 with new classrooms and additional administrative space. There was significant local opposition to this expansion on the grounds that children from outside the area would be attracted and so this would increase traffic. Letters of objection and a petition were submitted to the council but the plans went ahead regardless.
Church bells project
- Neil Parker won the North-East 2002 Leadership Trust Award for School Leadership.
Notable former pupils
- "Heighington Church of England Primary School", Ofsted, 22 May 2007
- "Heighington Church of England Primary School", BBC News, 7 December 2006
- "Heighington Church of England Primary School", Department for Children, Schools and Families, 2005
- "Planning application 06/00485/DC", Darlington Borough Council, 28 June 2006
- Villagers lose battle to stop school expansion, Northern Echo, 12 August 2000, p. 6
- "Ringing the changes", BT, 2004
- "Teachers of excellence", The Guardian, 9 July 2002
- "Remembering Heighington's past with pride - and looking to the future", The Northern Echo, 26 March 2007.