Helen T. Edwards
|Helen T. Edwards|
May 27, 1936|
|Institutions||Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory|
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
|Notable awards||E. O. Lawrence Award (1986)
MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, National Medal of Technology
- The Madeira School 1953
Edwards earned a bachelor's degree in physics from Cornell University. After her undergraduate work, she continued studying at Cornell University, where she earned her M.S. degree in the physics department under Kenneth Greisen working with the development of electromagnetic showers. Edwards eventually earned her PhD from Cornell in 1966, working under the direction of Boyce McDaniel in the Laboratory of Nuclear Studies.
After earning her PhD at Cornell in 1996, Edwards continued her work in Nuclear Studies at Cornell as a research associate at the 10 GEV Electron Synchrotron under the supervision of Robert R. Wilson. Edwards then joined Wilson when he transitioned to Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in 1970.
When she first began her work at Fermilab, she was put in charge of the accelerator division. In her most well-known work, she oversaw the building of the Tevatron, one of the highest energy super-conducting particle accelerators ever constructed. Her work was supervised by Leon M. Lederman.
- 1966-70 Research Associate, 10 GEV Electron Synchrotron, Cornell University
- 1970-87 Associate Head of the Booster Group, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
- 1987-89 Head, Accelerator Division, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
- 1989-92 Head & Associate Director, Superconducting Division, Superconducting Super Collider Laboratory, Dallas
- 1988 MacArthur Fellow
- 1992–present Guest Scientist, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
- USPAS Prize for Achievement in Accelerator Physics and Technology 1985
- E. O. Lawrence Award, U.S. Department of Energy 1986 
- MacArthur Foundation Fellowship 1988 
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering (1988)
- National Medal of Technology 1989 
- "The Shutdown Process". Tevatron Home. Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Ouellette, Jennifer (Oct 1, 2011). "Tevatron Shuts Down After 28-Year Run". Discovery News. Discovery Communications, LLC. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Oakes, Elizabeth (November 2000). Encyclopedia of World Scientists. Facts on File. p. 202. ISBN 081604130X.
- Mcdaniel, Boyce; Albert Silverman (October 1968). "The 10‐GeV synchrotron at Cornell". Physics Today 21 (10). Bibcode:1968PhT....21j..29M. doi:10.1063/1.3034533.
- "USPAS Prize for Achievement in Accelerator Physics and Technology". United States Particle Accelerator School. Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Helen T. Edwards, 1986". The Ernest Orlando Lawrence Award. U.S. Department of Energy. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Meet the 1988 MacArthur Fellows". MacArthur Foundation. John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "2003 Robert R. Wilson Prize for Achievement in the Physics of Particle Accelerators Recipient". American Physical Society Sites. American Physical Society. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Anderson, Olga (1995). "Helen T. Edwards". In McMurray, Emily J.; Kosek, Jane Kelly; Valade III, Roger M. Notable twentieth-century scientists. Detroit, MI: Gale Research. ISBN 978-0810391819.
- Lanam, Richard D. (1994). American Men and Women of Science, 1995-96. New Providence, NJ: R.R. Bowker. ISBN 978-0835234634. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Oakes, Elizabeth H. (2007). Encyclopedia of World Scientists. Infobase Publishing. p. 202. ISBN 9781438118826. Retrieved 12 Oct 2013.
- Pellegrini, Claudio. "Helen Thom Edwards". Contributions of 20th Century Women to Physics. University of California. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Peoples, John (2006). Out of the Shadows: Contributions of Twentieth-Century Women to Physics. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-82197-1. Retrieved 12 Oct 2013.
- Savage, Darin C. (1997). "Helen T. Edwards". In Shearer, Benjamin F. Notable women in the physical sciences : a biographical dictionary (1. publ. ed.). Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press. pp. 80–?. ISBN 9780313293030.
- Link to image of Helen T. Edwards
[[Category:Madeira School alumni]