The HDP is defined by the following empirical formula:
- HDP = t * f 2
- HDP - hemodialysis product
- t - dialysis time (hours/dialysis session)
- f - dialysis frequency (dialysis sessions/week)
The formula, like all empirical formulae, has no theoretical basis. The HDP has not seen widespread use. An Egyptian study published in 2011 found that HDP is "a valid test with high sensitivity and specificity for assessment of adequacy of hemodialysis in comparison to KT/V and URR."
- ^ Scribner BH, Oreopoulos DG, The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V, Dialysis & Transplantation, 2002 Jan;31(1):13-15. Full Text Full Text (Mirror)
- ^ Eltayeb M, Elshinawy H, Ramadan A, Abouellal H, Hemodialysis Product: A Reliable New Index for Dialysis Adequacy, Sci. Med. J., Jan. 2011; 23 (1): 73-93, ISSN 1110-5607. Full text