The logo of the Birks banner on a jewellery box
|Traded as||NYSE MKT: BGI|
|Key people||Henry Birks|
Birks Group (formerly Birks & Mayors) is a designer, manufacturer and retailer of jewellery, timepieces, silverware and gifts, with stores and manufacturing facilities located in Canada and the United States. It operates stores under three different retail banners: 31 Maison Birks stores across Canada (formerly Birks), 20 Mayors stores in Florida and Georgia, and 2 Brinkhaus stores in Vancouver and Calgary. The company also operates one Rolex-branded store in Orlando. The company is headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, with American corporate offices located in Tamarac, Florida.
Birks Group was created in November 2005 through the merger of the Henry Birks and Sons Ltd. chain in Canada and the Mayors Jewelers Inc. chain in the United States.
Henry Birks and Sons
With an investment of CAD$3,000, in 1879 Henry Birks opened a small jewellery shop on St. James Street in the heart of Montreal's financial and commercial district. In 1893, Birks went into partnership with his three sons (William, John and Gerald), and the name of the firm became Henry Birks and Sons. As the focus of Montreal's commercial centre moved northward towards Saint Catherine Street, the Birks store moved to new premises on Phillips Square in 1894, where the company still maintains a store and corporate offices.
Commencing in 1901, Birks oversaw the expansion of the company across Canada, with stores opening in the country's largest cities. In some cases, it bought local jewellers, adding its name to the local one. For instance the Birks store in Toronto was Birks-Ryrie and the one in Winnipeg was Birks-Dingwall. In 1953, Henry Birks and Sons bought out Roden Bros. Ltd., a company that produced silver hollowware, flatware, cut crystal, and medals. In 1955, the company successfully sued the City of Montreal before the Supreme Court of Canada for forcing it to close on Catholic holidays, in Henry Birks & Sons (Montreal) Ltd. v. the City of Montreal.
The Mayors chain was founded in 1910 in Ohio.
Maison Birks has six flagship stores in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver. Mayors’ flagships are PGA Commons and Town Center at Boca Raton in Palm Beach County, The Galleria at Fort Lauderdale, Dadeland Mall in Kendall and Buckhead in Atlanta.
- "Birks & Mayors Announces a Corporate Name Change". Financial News. Birks & Mayors. 30 September 2013. Archived from the original on 7 October 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Maison Birks unveils its new corporate identity and opens its first mono-brand store". Birks & Mayors Inc. / CNW. Archived from the original on 27 August 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Birks, Henry." Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- Giorgio B. (2014). American Sterling Silver Marks: Marks and hallmark of USA and Canada manufacturers of silver hollowware, flatware and jewelry. Retrieved from http://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERMARKSRDUE.html
- "Network". About Us. Birks & Mayors Inc. Retrieved 16 March 2012.