|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Municipality of Belgium|
Aerial view of Herstappe
|• Mayor||Serge Louwet|
|• Total||1.35 km2 (0.52 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2012)|
|• Density||64/km2 (170/sq mi)|
Herstappe is a Flemish municipality located in the Belgian province of Limburg. On January 1, 2008 Herstappe had a total population of 84. The total area is 1.35 km² which gives a population density of 61 inhabitants per km². It is the least populous municipality in Belgium, and the third smallest in area.
Herstappe is a municipality with linguistic facilities for French speakers, which has so far prevented a merger with neighbouring Tongeren from taking place.
For the Belgian local elections, 2012, Herstappe was the only Belgian municipality where elections were not held as there was only one candidate list. Previously, this had already happened between 1958 and 1994.
The incumbent mayor (since 1994), Serge Louwet, was the lowest paid Belgian mayor in 2012 with 675 € for his monthly wages. Actually, his official salary is 1,400 € but he considered it too high and kept only 675, the rest being given back to the municipal treasurer.
- Population per municipality on 1 January 2012 (XLS; 214 KB)
- BELGA (2012-09-17). "Herstappe, seule commune belge qui ne votera pas lors des communales". La Libre.be. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "De enige burgemeester die dit weekend goed zal slapen - De Standaard". Standaard.be. 2012-10-12. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- Auteur: (2012-09-27). "De armste: Serge Louwet (Herstappe) - Het Nieuwsblad". Nieuwsblad.be. Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- Bram Conjaerts, Henri and the Islands, 2008 (documentary)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herstappe.|
|This Belgian Limburg location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|