Hugh Hedley Scurfield
Hugh Scurfield is an English actuary of considerable note. He was born December 9, 1935 in the County of Durham, England; the third of four children to William Russell Scurfield and Elizabeth Morton Scurfield (née Hedley). He graduated from Hertford College, Oxford with an M.A. in 1956.
Scurfield is the past president of Institute of Actuaries (1990 - 1992), and past president of the International Congress of Actuaries (1998). Scurfield was the General Manager, Actuary, and Director of Norwich Union Insurance Group. Other notable positions held by Scurfield include: Director, Ecclesiastical Insurance Group (1994 - 2004); Member, International Actuarial Association (1998); Non-executive Director, Royal Shrewsbury Hospital NHS Trust (2003); Deputy Chairman, Help the Hospice (2002 -2006); appointed Vice President, Help The Hospice (May 2006); Trustee and Chairman of the Lottery for Severn Hospice.
In 2008, Scurfield was appointed Chairman of The Development Trust (The King's School Worcester).
He married Ann Beverley POCOCK, 11 Jul 1959 in Reigate, Surrey. He married Jill CHARLES-EDWARDS, 08 Dec 1978 in Bishops Castle. Children of SCURFIELD and POCOCK are:
1. Bryan Hugh SCURFIELD, b. 10 May 1960, Norwich.
2. Jane Elizabeth SCURFIELD, b. 31 Aug 1962, Norwich.
3. Mary Sara SCURFIELD, b. 22 May 1964, Norwich.
4. Clare Louise SCURFIELD, b. 19 Aug 1967, Norwich.
- Address by the President of the Institute of Actuaries: Developing a Proactive Role, 25 June 1990. J.I.A. 118, 1-15 (1991)
- Lessons from Hospices: Past-president Hugh Scurfield develops a topic raised at the ageing population’s conference earlier in 2002