Hugh Lowther, 8th Earl of Lonsdale
Hugh Clayton Lowther, 8th Earl of Lonsdale, Viscount Lowther, Baron of Whitehaven and Lord of the Manor of Threlkeld (born 27 May 1949) is the eldest son of James Lowther, 7th Earl of Lonsdale, and the only son by his first wife Tuppina Cecily Bennet, and is the current holder of the titles, Earl of Lonsdale, Viscount Lowther, Baron of Whitehaven and Lord of the Manor of Threlkeld.
He has been married three times, firstly to Pamela Colleen Middleton, on 2 October 1971; secondly in 1986 to Angela Mary Wyatt, and currently to his present wife, Elizabeth Nee Arnison. With his first wife (whom he divorced after 12 years of marriage, circa 1983/1984), he has one adopted son Oliver, born by artificial insemination, who thus does not stand in succession to his father's titles. This page, on the website of the Hereditary Peerage Association (HPA), explains the procedure of entering one's name on the Peerage Roll without applying for the right to vote in by-elections for elected hereditary peers to the House of Lords.
"10. It should also be noted that a child born as a result of egg, sperm or embryo donation is incapable of succeeding to a peerage held by, or transmitted through, those persons who are otherwise to be treated in law as the child’s parents (see section 27 of the Family Law Reform Act 1987 and sections 27-29 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990)."
The first marriage, contracted to a student nurse who was the daughter of a railway crossing keeper, apparently led to an estrangement between his father and the then Viscount Lowther. He is a substantial landowner with up to 5,000 acres (20 km2) along with the Lonsdale Settled Estates.
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/lakedistrictandcumbria/10752789/Saddleback-Mountain-for-sale-yours-for-1.75-million.html 'Saddleback': Mountain for sale, yours for £1.75 million
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 27 May 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
the Earl of Lonsdale 64
- The Peerage database, relying on a 1999 Debretts, says his second wife is Angela Wyatt, whom he married in 1986. Data retrieved 1 February 2010.
- Oliver Lowther, last edited 28 May 2006.
- Keith Bailey. "The £325m Battle of the Lonsdales" Daily Mail, 10 March 2007. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- Tim Adams. "Witnesses for the prosecution: The landowners" The Observer, Sunday 10 February 2002. Retrieved 1 February 2010. "The Lowther family has been the major landowners in this part of Cumbria since 900AD. At one stage, they owned 'maybe three-quarters of the county'. Now Hugh has 5,000 acres, on which he has 14 tenant farmers; and now has control of the Lowther Settled Estates."
- "Lake District mountain sale: Earl 'didn't want to evict tenants'". BBC News. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Earl of Lonsdale