Hurricane High School (Utah)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007)|
Hurricane High School is the only high school in Hurricane, Utah, with a current enrollment of about 850 students in grades 10-12 from Hurricane and surrounding communities, including La Verkin, Toquerville, Hildale, Virgin, Rockville, and Springdale. With 762 students enrolled as of March 8, 2007, it is the 4th largest high school in Washington County School District.
The first school classes were held in Hurricane in 1906 in the living room of Ira E. Bradshaw's home, consisting of grades one through eight. The first high school graduates in Hurricane graduated at the end of the 1927-1928 school year.
A two-story red brick high school building was built during the Great Depression with help from the federal government’s Works Progress Administration. The building was completed and the school opened just after Thanksgiving in 1936.
In 1974, a new gymnasium and three classrooms were completed at the current school site, the first phase of construction of the current facilities. Students walked between the old high school building and the new building for classes. In 1978, classrooms and a cafeteria were added, and grades 9-12 moved to the new building. The old building remained in use for other grades until it was demolished in the spring of 2004. A new auditorium, auxiliary gym, and administrative office areas were added in 1996. In 2001, a science hall was added and named for the outgoing principal, Robert Goulding.
The enrollment continues to grow and has forced a new expansion/remodel of the existing building. It was the hope of the district to complete construction by 2011.
Jody Rich is the current principal at Hurricane High School.
- The Hurricane High women's volleyball team won the UHSAA 3A State Championship in 2008 and 2013
- The Hurricane High track team won the UHSAA 3A State Championship in 2008.
- Hurricane High won the UHSAA 3A Football State Championship in 2011, defeating Desert Hills High School 21-0.
- The Hurricane High School boy's basketball team defeated Desert Hills High School to win the 3A State Championship in 2012.
- Washington County School District Enrollment Information 2006-2007 School Year document (PDF) from the Washington County School District web site viewed April 7, 2007