Ian Tracey (organist)
Ian Tracey is Organist Titulaire at Liverpool Cathedral.
Studies and career
Ian Tracey (born 1955) started to study the organ at Liverpool Cathedral under the cathedral organist at the time, Noel Rawsthorne. He then continued his studies at Trinity College, London before gaining further experience in Paris under André Isoir and Jean Langlais. In 1980 he took over from Noel Rawsthorne to become the youngest cathedral organist in the United Kingdom. He was later appointed Organist and Master of the Choristers at Liverpool Cathedral.
His current position is Organist Titulaire and therefore has responsibility over all the cathedral organs and recitals whilst being able to devote more time to teaching, recording, writing and lecturing.
In addition to his position at the cathedral Ian Tracey is also Organist to the City of Liverpool at St. George’s Hall, Chorus Master to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Society, Guest Director of Music for the BBC's Daily Service, Professor, Fellow and Organist at Liverpool John Moores University and immediate past president of the Incorporated Association Of Organists.
In addition to his cathedral and university duties and conducting the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Choir, he is in demand as an organ recitalist in Europe and USA. He has also made a number of recordings, both solo and with orchestra.
In July 2006 he was admitted to the degree of Doctor of Music (honoris causa) in the University of Liverpool. This honorary doctorate was awarded to Professor Tracey for "his contribution to music".
- Organ Recital (Various composers) (1989) Classics for Pleasure B000027F5R
- 1855 "Father" Willis Organ, St Georges Hall, Liverpool RLPO B00006J9MN
- Liverpool Encores (1990)Mirabilis Records MRCD901
- Ian Tracey plays the Willis Organ of Liverpool Cathedral (Various composers) (2005) Priory Records B0009B0GQS
- Bombarde! French Organ Classics (Various composers) Organ of Liverpool Cathedral (1999) Chandos Records B00000IYMZ
- Ian Tracey Plays Organ Transcriptions and French Romantic Music on the Henry Willis III Grand Organ of Liverpool Cathedral (Various composers) (2006) Priory B000FO44A8
- Ian Tracey - Organ Recital Organ of Liverpool Cathedral (Various composers) (2007) Classics for Pleasure B000MCIB4I
Organ with orchestra
- Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 7 (Sinfonia antartica) with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir (2002) Classics for Pleasure B00006J3LP
- Poulenc/Guilmant/Widor - Organ Works Organ of Liverpool Cathedral with BBC Philharmonic (2000) Chandos B000000AUI
- Guilmant/Widor/Franck - Organ Works Organ of Liverpool Cathedral with BBC Philharmonic (2002) Chandos B00003XB23
- Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (2002) Classics for Pleasure B00006I05D
- Fantaisie Triomphale (Various composers) Organ of Liverpool Cathedral with BBC Philharmonic (2007) Chandos
- Songs of Praise and Worship with Liverpool Cathedral Choir and Merseyside Massed Choirs HMV Classics B00004YL43
- Your Favourite Hymns with Liverpool Cathedral Choir and others (1992) Classics B00000DNUE
- Spirit of Christmas with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir, Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Choir and others (2007) RLP
- "The Staff". Liverpool Cathedral. Retrieved 2007-07-12.
- "Founding stars of Everyman Theatre honoured by University". University of Liverpool. 2006-06-30. Retrieved 2013-02-17.