Ian Tracey (organist)
27 May 1955 |
|Alma mater||Trinity College, London|
|Known for||Organist Titulaire at Liverpool Cathedral|
Ian Tracey (born 27 May 1955) is Organist Titulaire at Liverpool Cathedral.
Studies and career
Ian Tracey (born 27 May 1955) initially studied the organ under the then Organist of Liverpool Cathedral, Noel Rawsthorne. He subsequently continued his studies at Trinity College, London, before gaining further experience in Paris under André Isoir and Jean Langlais. In 1980, he succeeded Noel Rawsthorne and, in doing so, became the youngest cathedral organist in the United Kingdom at that time. He was later appointed Master of the Choristers, in addition to Organist, at Liverpool Cathedral.
Since 2008, his position at Liverpool Cathedral has been Organist Titulaire; a role that gives him overall responsibility for the organs and recitals there, whilst affording him time for teaching, recording, writing and lecturing.
In addition to his Cathedral duties, Ian Tracey is also Organist (since 1986) to the City of Liverpool at St. George’s Hall, Chorus Master (since 1985) to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Society, Guest Music Director (since 1991) for the BBC's Daily Service, Professor, Fellow and Organist (since 1988) at Liverpool John Moores University and a past President (2001–2003) of the Incorporated Association of Organists. Since 2011, he has been Tonal Director for Makin Organs & Copeman Hart.
Ian Tracey is in demand as an organ recitalist in the United Kingdom, Europe, and the United States, and has made a number of recordings, both solo and with orchestra.
- Organ Recital (Various composers) (1989) Classics for Pleasure B000027F5R
- 1855 "Father" Willis Organ, St Georges Hall, Liverpool RLPO B00006J9MN
- Liverpool Encores (1990)Mirabilis Records MRCD901
- Ian Tracey plays the Willis Organ of Liverpool Cathedral (Various composers) (2005) Priory Records B0009B0GQS
- Bombarde! French Organ Classics (Various composers) Organ of Liverpool Cathedral (1999) Chandos Records B00000IYMZ
- Ian Tracey Plays Organ Transcriptions and French Romantic Music on the Henry Willis III Grand Organ of Liverpool Cathedral (Various composers) (2006) Priory B000FO44A8
- Ian Tracey - Organ Recital Organ of Liverpool Cathedral (Various composers) (2007) Classics for Pleasure B000MCIB4I
Organ with orchestra
- Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 7 (Sinfonia antartica) with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir (2002) Classics for Pleasure B00006J3LP
- Poulenc/Guilmant/Widor - Organ Works Organ of Liverpool Cathedral with BBC Philharmonic (2000) Chandos B000000AUI
- Guilmant/Widor/Franck - Organ Works Organ of Liverpool Cathedral with BBC Philharmonic (2002) Chandos B00003XB23
- Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (2002) Classics for Pleasure B00006I05D
- Fantaisie Triomphale (Various composers) Organ of Liverpool Cathedral with BBC Philharmonic (2007) Chandos
- Songs of Praise and Worship with Liverpool Cathedral Choir and Merseyside Massed Choirs HMV Classics B00004YL43
- Your Favourite Hymns with Liverpool Cathedral Choir and others (1992) Classics B00000DNUE
- Spirit of Christmas with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir, Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Choir and others (2007) RLP
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 27 May 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
Prof Ian Tracey, Organist Titulaire, Liverpool Cathedral, 58
- "The Staff". Liverpool Cathedral. Retrieved 2007-07-12.
- "Founding stars of Everyman Theatre honoured by University". University of Liverpool. 2006-06-30. Retrieved 2013-02-17.