In the Year 2889
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
|This article is missing information about the film's home media release. (March 2015)|
|In the Year 2889|
|Directed by||Larry Buchanan|
|Produced by||Larry Buchanan
|Written by||Harold Hoffman
|Cinematography||Robert C. Jessup|
|Edited by||Larry Buchanan|
In the Year 2889 is a 1967 apocalyptic, science fiction, made-for-television film about the aftermath of a future nuclear war. American International had commissioned low-budget cult film auteur Larry Buchanan to direct and produce the film as a colour remake of Roger Corman's Day the World Ended (1955).
The film's title borrows from a short story of the same title by Jules Verne and his son, Michael Verne, (which, unlike the film, is set in the year 1997). A nuclear war has wiped out most of Earth's citizens, and the movie follows a group of survivors who take refuge from rising radiation levels, a ruthless tough guy and cannibalistic mutants in a Dallas mansion.
- Paul Petersen as Steve
- Quinn O'Hara as Jada
- Charla Doherty as Joanna Ramsey
- Neil Fletcher as Captain John Ramsey
- Hugh Feagin as Mickey Brown
- Max W. Anderson as Granger
- Bill Thurman as Tim Henderson
- Byron Lord as Mutant
This was Larry Buchaman's fifth Azalea Production film and he completed it on May 1967. The film was made after the success of an earlier film Master of the World (1961). Since this was a remake the makers needed a new title and since the AIP already registered this title for a forgotten project, it was used in this film.
It was released in 1967 as a TV movie. All promotional materials, including the TV Guide, post the title as "Year 2889," but the on screen credits are indeed "In the Year 2889."
The film holds an extremely low score of 2.7/10 from 604 users on the Internet Movie Database.
Home Media Release
|This section requires expansion. (September 2014)|
- Goodsell, Greg. "The Weird and Wacky World of Larry Buchanan". Filmfax (38 April/May 1993): 64.
- "Jules Verne Book: In the Year 2889". JulesVerne.ca.
- Verne, Jules & Verne, Michael, & Metcalf, Lorettus S. (Editor) (February 1889). "In the Year 2889". The Forum VI (6): 662–677.
- "In the Year 2889". ApocalypticMovies.com.
- In the Year 2889 at the Internet Movie Database
- In the Year 2889 is available for free download at the Internet Archive
- In The year 2889 synopsis at B-Movie Central
|This science fiction film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|