Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control
|European Union directive:|
|Made by||European Parliament & Council|
|Made under||Article 175(1)|
|Made||15 January 2008|
|Came into force||18 February 2008|
|Status: Current legislation|
Directive 2008/1/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 January 2008 concerning integrated pollution prevention and control is a directive of the European Union. It replaces the Council Directive 96/61/EC of 24 September 1996 on the same subject matter; both are commonly referred to as IPPC Directive.
From 2005-2007, the effect of the directive was assessed. In 2010, a revised wording was published, integrated with 6 other European directives regulating large industrial sites, into the Industrial Emissions Directive, short IED.
European IPPC Bureau
The European IPPC Bureau has been founded to organize the necessary exchange of information and produces Best Available Techniques (short: 'BAT') and reference documents (short: 'BREF') which Member States are required to take into account when determining best available techniques generally or in specific cases.
- EU legislation summary
- Text of the directive (pdf)
- Text of directive with headers (html)
- European IPPC Bureau home page
- The implementation of the IPPC Directive in Latvia / Edward Lestrade. A.540.991.28. European current law. October (2005), p. xi-xv. 984.988
- Ministry of Environment and Urbanism of Turkey, EU Project to implement Chapters 1 and 2 of the Industrial Emissions Directive (repealing IPPC Directive), explanations in Turkish and English