International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management
The International Association of Health Central Service Materiel Management (IAHSCMM) is a professional association which represents healthcare Central Service (CS) professionals, and is based in Chicago, Illinois with over 21,000 members worldwide. IAHSCMM in association with Purdue University provides education and professional certification for central service personnel in the field. These Certifications include:
- "Certified Registered Central Service Technician" (CRCST), which recognizes individuals who have demonstrated the experience, knowledge, and skills necessary to provide competent services in sterile processing, as a central service technician, and the distribution of manufactured supplies and equipment. CRCST’s are integral members of the healthcare team who are responsible for decontaminating, inspecting, assembling, disassembling, packaging, and sterilizing reusable surgical instruments or devices in a health care facility that are essential for patient safety.
- "Certified Instrument Specialist" (CIS), which recognizes individuals who have demonstrated the experience, knowledge, and skills necessary to provide competent services as an advanced instrument specialist in the Central Service Department. CIS’s are essential members of the healthcare team who are responsible for demonstrating the knowledge and recognition of medical instruments and instrument support system functions necessary to help ensure the safe and timely delivery of surgical instruments to patients.
- "Certified Healthcare Leadership" (CHL), which recognizes individuals who have demonstrated the management and supervisory skills necessary to provide effective leadership in the Central Service Department. CHL’s are indispensable members of the healthcare team who are responsible for managing the daily operations of the Central Service Department including standards and regulation compliance, finance, reporting, staffing, human resource management, and inter- and intradepartmental communications.
- "Certified Central Service Vendor Program" (CCSVP), which recognizes vendors who have demonstrated knowledge of Central Service concepts and processes including the decontamination, inspection, assembly, packaging, and sterilization of reusable surgical instruments.
- Central Service Technical Manual & Workbook, 7th Edition, also translated in Chinese, Japanese and Spanish
- Instrumentation Resource Course: Identification, Handling and Processing of Surgical Instruments by Natalie Lind
- Inspecting Surgical Instruments, An Illustrated Guide by Rick Schultz
- Central Service Leadership Manual & Workbook
- CSSD Dictionary and Reference Guide
- IAHCSMM also publishes a bimonthly professional journal for Central Service professionals, entitled Communique.