International Association of Universities
|Motto||For a worldwide higher education community|
|Membership||Universities, higher education associations|
|Official language||French, English|
|Executive General Secretary||Eva Egron-Polak|
|Main organ||General Assembly|
The International Association of Universities (IAU) is the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)-based worldwide association of higher education institutions. Also known as the International Universities Bureau of the United Nations, it brings together 641 higher education institutions and organisations (September 2013) from 120 countries for "reflection and action on common concerns and collaborates with various international, regional and national bodies active in higher education."
IAU is based in Paris and is located at the headquarters of UNESCO.
As the United Nations Decade on Education for Sustainable Development comes to an end in 2014 and the United Nations Millennial Development Goals are expected to conclude in 2015, the IAU International Conference, held in Iquitos, Peru in 2014, produced the Iquitos Statement on Higher Education for Sustainable Development as part of the 2015 UNESCO Post2015 Development Agenda.
1) Contribute to the development of knowledge, higher education and research in the public interest
2) Strengthen academic solidarity among higher education institutions and promote cooperation rather than competition
3) Uphold the fundamental principles for which every university should stand: The right to pursue knowledge for its own sake, To promote and uphold the tolerance of divergent opinions and freedom from political interference
4) Promote equitable access, success and equal opportunities for students, researchers, faculty and staff
5) Encourage the pursuit of diversity and quality while respecting cultural differences
The General Assembly of IAU elected Dzulkifli Abdul Razak, Former President of the University Sains Malaysia, Malaysia, as President for 2012-2016. Juan Ramon de la Fuente, former Rector of the National Autonomous University of Mexico was IAU President, for the 2008-2012 term. The General Executive Secretary is Eva Egron-Polak, former International Vice President at the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.
The list of Current Members of the IAU Board is IAU Administrative Board 2012_2016
- The complete Mission Statement is available at http://www.iau-aiu.net/association/index.html
- Directory of IAU's Member Institutions
- International Association of Universities Database of universities worldwide
- A Statement on Behalf of Higher Education Institutions Worldwide Developed by CHEA, the American Council on Education (ACE), the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) and the International Association of Universities (IAU).