Iron River, Wisconsin
|Iron River, Wisconsin|
Location of Iron River, Wisconsin
|• Total||34.9 sq mi (90.4 km2)|
|• Land||31.5 sq mi (81.6 km2)|
|• Water||3.4 sq mi (8.8 km2)|
|Elevation||1,207 ft (368 m)|
|• Density||36/sq mi (13.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||715 and 534|
|GNIS feature ID||1583434|
Iron River is a town in Bayfield County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 1,123 at the 2010 census. The census-designated place of Iron River is located in the town. The unincorporated community of Topside is also located in the town.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 34.9 square miles (90.4 km2), of which 31.5 square miles (81.6 km2) is land and 3.4 square miles (8.8 km2), or 9.73%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,059 people, 485 households, and 311 families residing in the town. The population density was 33.7 people per square mile (13.0/km²). There were 973 housing units at an average density of 31.0 per square mile (12.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.79% White, 1.32% Native American, 0.57% Asian, and 1.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.38% of the population.
There were 485 households out of which 23.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.3% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.7% were non-families. 30.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.68.
In the town the population was spread out with 19.9% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 22.9% from 25 to 44, 28.0% from 45 to 64, and 23.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 98.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $28,796, and the median income for a family was $36,597. Males had a median income of $30,060 versus $18,125 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,449. About 10.2% of families and 15.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.2% of those under age 18 and 12.4% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and culture
The Iron River Lion's Club sponsors the annual Blueberry Festival at Moon Lake Park in July. The festival includes rides, crafts, food and games.
Bayfield County Fair
Iron River is the home of the Bayfield County Fair. The fair takes place annually in August and includes grandstand shows, exhibitions and carnival rides.
U.S. Highway 2 serves as a main arterial route in the community.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Iron River town, Bayfield County, Wisconsin". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- "2011 Iron River Lions Blueberry Festival". Bayfield County. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Bayfield County Fair". Bayfield County. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "School District of Maple". School District of Maple. Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- Town of Iron River official website
- Iron River Area Chamber of Commerce
- Iron River Lions Club
- Iron River Pike Chain of Lakes Association, Inc
- Sanborn fire insurance maps: 1893 1898 1904 1917