December 10, 1875|
Philadelphia, United States
|Died||May 26, 1943
Boston, United States
|Alma mater||Tufts Medical School (1900)|
Clara née Einstein
Isador Henry Coriat (December 10, 1875 – May 26, 1943) was an American psychiatrist and neurologist. He was one of the first American psychoanalysts. .
He was born in Philadelphia in 1875 as the son of Hyram Coriat and Clara née Einstein. He was of Moroccan-Spanish descent on father's side and German on mother's side. He grew up in Boston and attended Tufts Medical School, graduating in 1900.
He was one of the founders of Boston Psychoanalytic Society, the first secretary in 1914 and president in years 1930-32. Coriat was the only Freudian analyst in Boston during the period after James Jackson Putnam's death.
Coriat married Etta Dann in 1910. He died on May 26, 1943, after a brief illness.
- Abnormal Psychology. New York, Moffat, Yard, 1910
- The Hysteria of Lady Macbeth. New York, Moffat, Yard and company, 1912
- “The Oedipus-Complex in the Psychoneuroses,” The Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 7(3) (Aug.-Sept. 1912): 176-195.
- “Homosexuality, its Psychogenesis and Treatment,” New York Medical Journal (March 22, 1913).
- The Meaning of Dreams. Boston, Little, Brown, and company, 1915
- Repressed Emotions. New York, Brentano's 1920
- Religion and Medicine; The Moral Control of Nervous Disorders. By Elwood Worcester, Samual McComb [and] Isador M. Coriat. New York, Moffat, Yard & company, 1908
- Stammering, a Psychoanalytic Interpretation. N.Y. : 1928
- What is Psychoanalysis? New York : Moffat, Yard & Co., 1917
- Sex and Hunger. Psychoanal Rev 8, 375-381 (1921) link
- The Sadism in Oscar Wilde's “Salome”. Psychoanal Rev 1, 257-259 (1914) link
- Humor and hypomania. Psychiatric Quarterly 13, 4, s. 681-688 (1939) 10.1007/BF01571533
- “The Structure of the Ego,” The Psychoanalytic Quarterly 9(3) (1940): 380-393.
- “Some Personal Reminiscences of Psychoanalysis in Boston: An Autobiographical Note,” The Psychoanalytic Review 32(1) (January 1945): 1-8.
- “Obituary: Isador H. Coriat,” The Psychoanalytic Review 30(4) (October 1943): 479-483.
- Nathan G Hale: Freud and the Americans: The Beginnings of Psychoanalysis in the United States, 1876-1917 (Freud in America), Publisher: Oxford University Press,First Edition (1971), ISBN 0-19-501427-8
- Dictionary of American Biography volume 12. Scribner, 1959 page 190
- Andrew R. Heinze: Jews and the American Soul: Human Nature in the Twentieth Century. Princeton University Press, 2004 ISBN 0-691-11755-1 page 120-123
- International Dictionary of Psychoanalysis. Alain de Mijolla (ed.) page 207 ISBN 0-02-865994-5