It's the Old Army Game
|It's the Old Army Game|
|Directed by||A. Edward Sutherland|
|Produced by||Adolph Zukor
Jesse L. Lasky
William LeBaron (associate producer)
|Written by||Joseph P. McEvoy (story)
William LeBaron (story)
Thomas J. Geraghty (scenario)
J. Clarkson Miller (scenario)
|Starring||W. C. Fields
|Edited by||Thomas J. Geraghty|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Release dates||May 24, 1926 (premiere)
July 11, 1926 (USA)
|Running time||7 reels|
It's the Old Army Game (1926) is a silent film comedy starring W. C. Fields and Louise Brooks. The "army game" is the shell game, a con-trick which WC Fields observes being played. "It's the old army game" he says, sagely.
The film was directed by A. Edward Sutherland, billed as Eddie Sutherland, and co-stars Sutherland's aunt, the stage actress Blanche Ring in one of her few silent film appearances. The film is based on the revue The Comic Supplement by Joseph P. McEvoy and Fields, and included several skits from Fields' stage plays. It was the fourth film that Louise Brooks appeared in. Sutherland and Brooks married in June 1926, and divorced in June 1928.
The film was shot mainly at Paramount's Astoria Studios facility in Astoria, Queens and in Manhattan, and is preserved complete in the Library of Congress. A few outdoor scenes were filmed in Ocala, Florida and Palm Beach, Florida.
- W. C. Fields - Elmer Prettywillie
- Louise Brooks - Mildred Marshall
- Blanche Ring - Tessie Overholt
- William Gaxton - George Parker
- Mary Foy - Sarah Pancoast
- Mickey Bennett - Mickey
- Josephine Dunn - Society Bather
- Jack Luden - Society Bather
- George Currie - Artist
- Elise Cavanna - Nearsighted woman (uncredited)
- Louvish, Simon (1997). Man on the Flying Trapeze: The Life and Times of W. C. Fields. New York: W. W. Norton. pp. 244, 273. ISBN 0-393-04127-1.
- It's the Old Army Game at silentera.com
- The American Film Institute Catalog Feature Films:1921-30 by The American Film Institute, c. 1971
- Catalog of Holdings, The American Film Institute Collection and The United Artist Collection at The Library of Congress by The American Film Institute, c.1978
- Curtis, James (2003). W.C. Fields: A Biography. Alfred A. Knopf. p. 185. ISBN 0-375-40217-9.
- It's the Old Army Game at IMDB
- It's the Old Army Game at SilentEra
- It's the Old Army Game at AllMovie
- Lobby poster for It's the Old Army Game