A good day to die
|Look up today is a good day to die in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A good day to die or It is a good day to die may refer to:
The precise origins of the phrase is unclear.
In "Campaigns of General Custer in the North-west, and the Final Surrender of Sitting Bull" published in 1881, author Judson Elliott Walker relates an account from Low Dog, as told to Captain Howe of the Standing Rock Agency: "I [Low Dog] called to my men: 'This is a good day to die; follow me'". This is the first known (published) use of the phrase.
In "Black Elk Speaks" published in 1932, recounting the Battle of the Little Bighorn described the warriors under Crazy Horse: "...off toward the west and north they were yelling " Hokahey!" like a big wind roaring, and making the tremolo; and you could hear eagle bone whistles screaming."
"Hokahey" is simply an exclamation to draw attention, similar to a coach saying, "Let's do it!" It is likely neither Low Dog nor Crazy Horse ever said, "Today is a good day to die," which is the English bastardization of a common Sioux battle-cry, "Nake nula wauŋ welo!" ("nake nula waun"). This phrase means, "I am ready for whatever comes." It was meant to show the warriors were not afraid of the battle or dying in it.
Books, film and television
- "Today is a good day to die," a Klingon exhortation before battle in the Star Trek universe
- A Good Day to Die, DVD title of the 1995 television miniseries, Children of the Dust, starring Sidney Poitier
- A Good Day to Die, a novel by Jim Harrison
- "A good day to die, film dialogue by Dustin Hoffman in the 1970 film Little Big Man, based on a novel by Thomas Berger.
- A Good Day to Die, a novel by Simon Kernick
- Today is a Good Day to Die!, is commonly yelled by Sarge in the web series Red vs. Blue created by Rooster Teeth.
- "A Good Day to Die", an episode of the 2006 Robin Hood TV series
- A Good Day to Die (2010), documentary film about Dennis Banks, AIM activist
- A Good Day to Die Hard, 2013 film
- "Today is a good day to die," Kiefer Sutherland in the opening line of the movie Flatliners.
- A Good Day To Die, an album by Sam Llanas
- "Good Day to Die", a song by Swedish band Revolution Riot
- "Good Day to Die", a song by Travis on the album Good Feeling
- "It Is a Good Day to Die", a song by Robbie Robertson on the album Music for The Native Americans
- "Good Day to Die", a song by Godsmack on the album The Oracle
- "Good Day to Die", a song by Hot Hot Heat from the album Happiness Ltd.
- "Today Is a Good Day to Die", a song by Manowar from the album Louder Than Hell
- "Good Day to Die", a bonus track by Wednesday 13 on the album Fang Bang
- "It's a Good Day to Die", a song from the movie Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
- A Good Day to Die, a band from Perth, Scotland
- Not a Good Day to Die, a book by Sean Naylor
- Life ~Today is a very good day to Die~, an album by Kra
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.