Ivy and Bean
In the stories, Ivy (a quiet, intellectual child) and Bean (a rambunctious child) become fast friends despite their differences and their initial reluctance to like each other – "two friends who never meant to like each other", as the tagline for the series goes. They are both 8-year-old girls who live on a cul-de-sac in a suburban environment on Pancake Court, in an unnamed town. In each book they get into considerable mischief.
The books feature illustrations, but are not picture books; the reading level is suitable for middle grade school readers. As of 2015, there are ten volumes in the series.
- Ivy: A quiet, intelligent child who loves reading books. She has fiery orange hair and is always wearing a pink, purple, or blue headband. Ivy can be described as a girly girl since she is always wearing skirts and dresses. Her favorite color is pink.
- Bean: A girl who is totally different from Ivy. She is very rebellious, rambunctious, and devious. Bean has blackish brown hair and hates wearing any kind of dresses or skirts being a tomboy. She loves the color green.
- Nancy: Bean's prissy eleven-year-old sister. She is always annoying Bean and attempting to get both girls into trouble.
- Leo: A boy who attends Ivy and Bean's school. He likes to tease both Ivy and Bean, but mostly Ivy. It is possible that he has a crush on her.
- ZuZu: One of Ivy and Bean's friends from school who loves pink and is obsessed with penguins.
- Katrine: Ivy's mother.
The books in the series are:
- Ivy and Bean
- Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go
- Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record
- Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter
- Ivy and Bean: Bound to Be Bad
- Ivy and Bean: Doomed to Dance
- Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea?
- Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News
- Ivy and Bean: Make the Rules
- Ivy and Bean: Take the Case
- http://www.chroniclebooks.com/landing-pages/ivyandbean/fanclub.html - this may not be WP:npov