|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
PEN/Ackerley Prize (or, J. R. Ackerley Prize for Autobiography) is awarded annually by English PEN for a literary autobiography of excellence, written by an author of British nationality and published during the preceding year. The winner receives £2,500. In recent years, the winner has been announced at the annual English PEN summer party.
The award was established by Nancy West, née Ackerley, sister of English author and editor J. R. Ackerley.
The prize is judged by the trustees of the J. R. Ackerley Trust. There is no formal submission process for the award - judges simply 'call in' books to be added to their longlist.
- 1982: Edward Blishen, Shaky Relations
- 1983: Joint winners:
- 1984: Richard Cobb, Still Life
- 1985: Angelica Garnett, Deceived with Kindness
- 1986: Dan Jacobson, Time and Time Again
- 1987: Diana Athill, After the Funeral
- 1988: Anthony Burgess, Little Wilson and Big God
- 1989: John Healy, The Grass Arena
- 1990: Germaine Greer, Daddy We Hardly Knew You
- 1991: Paul Binding, St Martin's Ride
- 1992: John Osborne, Almost a Gentleman
- 1993: Barry Humphries, More, Please
- 1994: Blake Morrison, When Did You Last See Your Father?
- 1995: Paul Vaughan, Something in Linoleum
- 1996: Eric Lomax, The Railway Man
- 1997: Tim Lott, The Scent of Dried Roses
- 1998: Katrin Fitzherbert, True to Both Myselves
- 1999: Margaret Forster, Precious Lives
- 2000: Mark Frankland, Child of My Time
- 2001: Lorna Sage, Bad Blood
- 2002: Michael Foss, Out of India: A Raj Childhood
- 2003: Jenny Diski, Stranger on a Train
- 2004: Bryan Magee, Clouds of Glory: A Hoxton Childhood
- 2005: Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy, Half an Arch
- 2006: Alan Bennett, Untold Stories
- 2007: Brian Thompson, Keeping Mum
- 2008: Miranda Seymour, In My Father's House
- 2009: Julia Blackburn, The Three of Us
- 2010: Gabriel Weston, Direct Red: A Surgeon's View of Her Life-or-Death Profession
- 2011: Michael Frayn, My Father’s Fortune
- 2012: Duncan Fallowell, How to Disappear
- 2013: Richard Holloway, Leaving Alexandria: A Memoir of Faith and Doubt (Canongate)
- "PEN/Ackerley Prize". Retrieved 2010-10-23.