Jack Gleeson, 2012
20 May 1992
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Dublin|
Gleeson was born in Cork, Ireland. He attended Gonzaga College in Dublin from 2004 to 2010. Gleeson is a student of Trinity College, Dublin, studying philosophy and theology and he is also a member of DU Players. In 2012, he was awarded a scholarship at the same university.
Gleeson began acting at the age of seven in the Independent Theatre Workshop. His first roles were in films such as Reign of Fire in 2002, Batman Begins in 2005, Shrooms in 2007, and A Shine of Rainbows in 2009. In 2010, he appeared in a leading role in All Good Children. The reviewer for Variety magazine considered Gleeson "the pic's big discovery".
Gleeson starred as Joffrey Baratheon in the first four seasons of the HBO series Game of Thrones. He cites Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of Commodus in Gladiator as an influence on his performance. He is the founder and artistic director of Collapsing Horse Theatre Company, which is based in Dublin.
In 2012, Gleeson indicated an intention to retire from acting to pursue an academic career once his work on Game of Thrones was finished. In 2014 Gleeson confirmed he would be permanently retired from acting after concluding his work in Game of Thrones.
|2002||Reign of Fire||Kid||Uncredited|
|Moving Day||Jack||Short film|
|2003||Fishtale||Boy with the Fish|
|2004||Tom Waits Made Me Cry||Young Vincent|
|2005||Batman Begins||Little Boy|
|2009||A Shine of Rainbows||Seamus|
|2010||All Good Children||Dara|
|2011–2014||Game of Thrones||Joffrey Baratheon||26 episodes
Nominated - IGN Award for Best TV Villain
Nominated - Saturn Award for Best Performance by a Younger Actor in a Television Series
Nominated - Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2012)
Nominated - Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2014)
- "Jack Gleeson Biography". TV Guide. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- O'Regan, Mark (17 April 2012). "Jack Gleeson swaps 'Game of Thrones' for seat of learning". Irish Independent. independent.ie. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- Email: Fellows & Scholars (Email) (2 July 2012). "Welcome – Fellows & Scholars : Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin, Ireland". Tcd.ie. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Meanwhile, At Trinity College". Broadsheet.ie. 16 April 2012. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Jack Gleeson Lands Major HBO Pilot!". In The Spotlight. 10 March 2010. Archived from the original on 10 March 2010. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Felperin, Leslie (20 May 2010). "All Good Children – Film Reviews – Cannes". Variety.com. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Kit, Borys (19 July 2009). "Sean Bean ascends to Game of Thrones". Reuters. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Hill, Logan (June 2012). "The Villains Questionnaire: Jack Gleeson". GQ. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- James Hibberd (13 April 2014). "'Game of Thrones': Jack Gleeson talks royal wedding shocker -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jack Gleeson|