Jack Welch Management Institute
|Jack Welch Management Institute|
Jack Welch Management Institute Logo
|Type||Online, business education|
The Jack Welch Management Institute at Strayer University is an online educational institution founded in 2009 and based in the United States, offering an executive Master of Business Administration degree and executive certificates for working adults. It was founded by Jack Welch, former CEO of General Electric. The company is headquartered outside of Washington D.C. at Strayer University's corporate office - 2303 Dulles Station Blvd, Herndon, VA 20171.
The Jack Welch Management Institute was developed in 2009 by former GE CEO Jack Welch in partnership with Chancellor University, to create a business school aimed at providing leadership training to managers and executives. The institute launched in June 2009, and classes began in January 2010.
Acquisition by Strayer University
In June 2012, the Jack Welch Management Institute announced the appointment of Daniel Szpiro as Dean. Szpiro had previously been the Associate Dean for Executive Education at the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University.
The institute offers an accredited executive Master of Business Administration and executive certificates covering various business-related topics through online classes. The executive MBA is a two-year program and the certificates are six-week programs. In March 2013, the Institute launch a series of online, self-guided, self-paced management training programs under the Welch Way brand.
Welch developed the curriculum, drawing from his management experience as CEO of GE and his experience teaching managers and executives at GE's Leadership Development Center. In addition to helping shape the program's curriculum, he holds the title of distinguished professor at the institute. He regularly addresses students via video stream, and holds a video conference with them at the end of each term.
Welch expects the relatively low tuition and flexible schedule for the institute's MBA program will make the program attractive to those currently employed but wishing to earn an MBA. He has stated that he plans to grow the institute into the number one online business school in the world by 2016.
- Paul Glader (22 June 2009). "The Jack Welch MBA Coming to Web". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Jim Nichols (23 June 2009). "Jack Welch is joining forces with retooled business school". Plain Dealer (Cleveland). Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Geoff Gloeckler (22 June 2009). "Jack Welch Launches Online MBA". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Janet Okoben (6 November 2009). "Jack Welch institute to offer Jan. classes". Plain Dealer (Cleveland). Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Megha Mandavia and A. Ananthalakshmi (14 November 2011). "Strayer buys management school started by former GE executive Jack Welch". The Washington Post. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Timothy Magaw (21 November 2011). "Chancellor charts new course without Jack Welch institute" (PDF). Crain's Cleveland Business. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Melissa Korn (11 November 2011). "Welch to Move School Out of Chancellor University". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Eckert, Barton (11 November 2011). "Strayer Education buys Jack Welch Management Institute". Washington Business Journal. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Strayer Education, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2011 Revenues and Earnings; and Winter Term 2012 Enrollments". 16 February 2012. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- John A. Byrne (15 November 2011). "Look out, B-schools: Jack Welch is moving in". CNN Money (Cable News Network). Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "About JWMI FAQS". Jack Welch Management Institute. Strayer Education, Inc. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "About Jack Welch". Jack Welch Management Institute. Strayer Education, Inc. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- Paul Glader (9 November 2011). "Exclusive: Management Guru Jack Welch Talks About Digital Education, Online MBAs & Modern CEOs With WA.". Wired Academic. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
- "Executive MBA Jack's Involvement". Jack Welch Management Institute. Strayer Education, Inc. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- Antoine Gara (11 November 2011). "Strayer Buys Jack Welch For-Profit". The Street. Retrieved 19 March 2012.