Gavilán (right) in action for Getafe
|Full name||Jaime Gavilán Martínez|
|Date of birth||12 May 1985|
|Place of birth||Valencia, Spain|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2004–2005||→ Tenerife (loan)||30||(3)|
|2005–2006||→ Getafe (loan)||32||(4)|
|2007–2008||→ Getafe (loan)||16||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11 July 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Valencia, Valencian Community, Gavilán was a Valencia CF youth product. He made his first-team – and La Liga – debut one month shy of his 18th birthday, playing 12 minutes in a 0–1 away defeat against Real Valladolid on 19 April 2003. He also spent two full seasons with the B-side, in the third division.
Gavilán was gradually breaking into the main squad after two loans (CD Tenerife – second level – and Getafe CF), even though he had to battle for that position with the gifted (although tremendously injury-prone) Vicente. However, after the arrival of new boss Ronald Koeman in November 2007, he was deemed surplus to requirements and was loaned again to Getafe, until the end of the season; the previous campaign, he suffered a serious knee ligament injury which kept him out of action for a period of six months.
In his second spell with the Madrid outskirts side, Gavilán appeared prominently during half-a-season, netting in a 2–1 home win over Racing de Santander on 16 March 2008. He was also part of the club's quarterfinal run in the UEFA Cup, playing in three matches, all as a starter.
On 15 July 2008 Gavilán signed a four-year deal with Getafe, thus losing all ties to Valencia. During his first full season he was an everpresent midfield fixture and, on 12 April 2009, he scored the game's only goal in an important win at Sevilla FC.
In 2009–10, Gavilán featured in 27 league games (no goals) as Getafe qualified for the second time ever for Europe, after finishing in sixth position. On 6 March 2011, in the last minutes of the first half of a 0–2 away defeat against Sporting de Gijón, he suffered the same injury to his knee, being sidelined for the rest of the campaign. He played for the Getafe until the end of the 2013–14 La Liga campaign, making 136 league appearances.
- Spain U19
- Spain U16
- Spain U20
- Valencia get bad news on Baraja; UEFA.com, 8 March 2007
- Getafe get Gavilán from Valencia; UEFA.com, 17 July 2008
- Sevilla FC 0–1 Getafe; ESPN Soccernet, 12 April 2009
- Se confirma la rotura del ligamento cruzado de Gavilán (Gavilán's cruciate ligament tear confirmed); Marca, 8 March 2011 (Spanish)
- The Levante UD reached an agreement in principle with Jaime Gavilan (Gavilán's cruciate ligament tear confirmed); Levante U.D. (es.levanteud.com), 16 June 2014 (Spanish)
- Getafe official profile (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Jaime Gavilán – FIFA competition record
- Soccerway profile