James Edward Davis
James Edward Davis (1817 - 1887) was called to the bar at the Middle Temple in 1842, was stipendiary magistrate at Stoke upon Trent from 1864 to 1870, was police magistrate at Sheffield from 1870 to 1874, was a friend of Leigh Hunt, and was the author of the following works:
- A Manual of the Law of Evidence in the Trial of Actions and other Proceedings in the New County Courts. London. 1848. 12mo.
- Prize Essay on the Laws for Protection of Women. London. 1853. P 8vo.
- The Practice and Evidence in Actions in the County Courts. London. 1857. 8vo. 4th edition. 1871 - 1872. 2 vols. 8vo. Volume II is entitled The Jurisdiction and Practice of the County Courts in Equity, &c.
- The New Practice of the County Courts in Actions and other Proceedings: being a supplement to the Second Edition of the Manual of Practices, &c. London. 1857. 8vo.
- The Criminal Law Consolidation Statutes of the 24 & 25 of Victoria, Chapters 94 to 100: Edited with Notes, Critical and Explanatory. 1861.
- County Courts Equitable Jurisdiction Act. London. 1865. P 8vo.
- The Master and Servant Act, 1867: with an Introduction, Notes, &c. London. 1868. 12mo.
- The County Courts Act, 1867: with Notes, Chapter on Costs. London. 1868. P 8vo.
- A Manual of the Law of Registration and Elections. London. 1868. 12mo. 2nd edition. 1879. Supplement. 1869. 2nd edition. 1880.
- The County Court Rules, 1875 and 1876: together with the County Courts Act, 1875: forming a supplement to Davis' County Court Practice. London. 1874 - 1876. 2 vols. 8vo.
- The Labour Laws. London. 1875. 8vo.
He was, with Robert Richard Tighe, joint author of the Annals of Windsor (1858). 
- Frederic Boase. Modern English Biography: A - H. 1892. Pages 1761 and 1762.
- Foster, Joseph. Men at the Bar. Second Edition. 1885. Page 118.
- Kirk, John Foster. "Davis, James Edward". A Supplement to Allibone's Critical Dictionary of English Literature and British and American Authors. J B Lippincott Company. Philadelphia. 1899. Volume 1. Page 460.
- "James Edward Davis (1817 - 1887)". Center for Applied Technologies in the Humanities. Virginia Tech.
- (1887) 22 The Law Journal 397, 406, 426
- (1887) 83-84 The Law Times 247 
- "Appointments" (1870) 14 Solicitors' Journal and Reporter 594