James McConkey Robinson (born 1924) is Professor Emeritus of Religion, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, California. He is a member of the Jesus Seminar and arguably the most prominent Q and Nag Hammadi library scholar of the 20th century. He is also a major contributor to The International Q Project, acting as an editor for most of their publications. Particularly, he laid the ground for John S. Kloppenborg's foundational work into the compositional history of Q, by arguing its genre as an ancient wisdom collection.
- The Problem of History in Mark. Studies in Biblical Theology. London: SCM, 1957.
- A New Quest of the Historical Jesus. Studies in Biblical Theology. London: SCM, 1959.
- 'Preaching'. Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible. Edited by Frederick C. Grant and H. H. Rowley. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1963.
- With Helmut Koester. Trajectories Through Early Christianity. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1971. Reprinted, Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2006.
- Editor, The Future of Our Religious Past: Essays in Honor of Rudolf Bultmann. New York: Harper & Row, 1971.
- General Editor, The Nag Hammadi Library in English. Leiden: Brill, 1977; 4th ed. 1996.
- With Stephen J. Patterson. The Fifth Gospel: The Gospel of Thomas Comes of Age. Harrisburg, PA: Trinity, 1998.
- Co-editor with Paul Hoffmann and John S. Kloppenborg, The Critical Edition of Q. Hermeneia Supplements. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2000.
- Editor, The Sayings Gospel Q in Greek and English. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2002.
- The Gospel of Jesus: In Search of the Original Good News. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 2005.
- The Sayings Gospel Q: Collected Essays. Edited by Christoph Heil and Joseph Verheyden. Leuven: Peeters, 2005.
- The Secrets of Judas: The Story of the Misunderstood Disciple and His Lost Gospel. New York: HarperSanFrancisco, 2006.
- Jesus according to the Earliest Witness. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2007.
- Language, Hermeneutic, and History: Theology after Barth and Bultmann. Eugene, OR: Cascade Books, 2008.
Additional biographical source: James M. Robinson. "Theological Autobiography." Pp. 117-150 in The Craft of Religious Studies, edited by Jon R. Stone. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1998.