- For the CollegeHumor editor, writer, and actor named Jeff Rubin, see CollegeHumor.
Rubin had worked at CIBC World Markets and its predecessors since 1988, and served as chief economist from 1992 to 2009, when he resigned.
Education and early career
Rubin completed his B.A. in Economics at the University of Toronto before graduating from McGill University with a Masters in Economics. He began working as an economist at the Ontario Government Treasury Department where he was responsible for projecting future interest rates.
In 1988, Rubin moved on to the brokerage firm Wood Gundy which was taken over by CIBC and became first CIBC Wood Gundy and then CIBC World Markets. He has accurately predicted fluctuations in interest rates and the value of the Canadian dollar. In the early 1990s he came to prominence projecting a major decline in the Ontario real estate market. He was one of the first economists to accurately predict soaring oil prices in 2000 and is now a popular commentator on oil depletion and its economic repercussions.
Rubin writes a blog published every Wednesday for The Globe and Mail newspaper. The blog is also published in the Huffington Post. He is an avid fisherman and frequently uses fishing analogies in his writing.
Rubin wrote the best-selling 2009 book Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller: Oil and the End of Globalization (ISBN 0-307-35751-1), which won the Canadian Business Book of the Year award. The book was also published with U.S. and U.K editions along with editions in French, Spanish, German and Portuguese. A second Canadian edition was published in 2010.  Jeff Rubin's second book, The End of Growth - but is that all bad? published by Random House (ISBN 978-0-307-36090-8), was released in Canada in a hard cover edition on May 8, 2012. It follows up on the theme of how oil prices are changing the world. The End of Growth was released in a US edition on October 16, 2012 under the title "The Big Flatline - Oil and the No-Growth Economy" (ISBN 978-0-230-34218-7).
- Jeff speaks about global oil consumption, in Seattle on June 8, 2009
- Jeff Rubin Interviewed by Ralph Benmergui on June 18th
- Jeff Rubin on CBC's The Hour
- Jeff Rubin speaks January 2010
- jeff rubin's blog
- (March 27, 2009). "Jeff Rubin leaving CIBC World Markets", Canadian Press, reprinted on Canoe.ca. Retrieved on 2009-07-04.
- (May 27, 2012). "". Retrieved on 2012-11-23.
- Author's page on the Random House web site (http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=95186)
- Hamilton, Tyler (May 16, 2009). "A maverick's message on oil", Toronto Star. Retrieved on 2009-07-04.
- Smith, Charlie (June 11, 2009). "Author Jeff Rubin says peak oil will shrink trade with Asia", The Georgia Straight. Retrieved on 2009-07-04.